Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
CTS 08
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been some talk in the bluetooth thread, but I don't quite know where to start. I need to get under the rear package tray to address a rattle. Can you guys help? Thanks.

·
Registered
04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon
1,803 Posts
Check your emergency trunk release cable. It has been found to rest on the speaker thus creating a rattle/buzz.
A little black tape to the exposed wire by the clip, just may take care of it. We are currently extending
the rubber sleeve on the cable to eliminate this condition. Good luck

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
I would just take it to the dealer until they get it resolved. I assume your CTS is still under warranty?

·
Registered
CTS 08
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would just take it to the dealer until they get it resolved. I assume your CTS is still under warranty?
Yes, it is. But the dealer here is AWFUL. The last time I gave them my car it came back with grease in the interior and broken parts they tried to hot glue together.

Plus, I only have one car (the CTS) and the dealer here doesn't do loaners. The dealer is 35 minutes away so it's not easy to get to either.

I trust myself to at least reassemble it right and not get it filthy.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS 6MT, 2008 Cadillac CTS 6MT
174 Posts
Yes, it is. But the dealer here is AWFUL. The last time I gave them my car it came back with grease in the interior and broken parts they tried to hot glue together.

Plus, I only have one car (the CTS) and the dealer here doesn't do loaners. The dealer is 35 minutes away so it's not easy to get to either.

Sounds as if you and I rely on the same dealer for service! No loaners unless you go in and bitch to the owner that you don't share the same 9-5 job that he has, so much grease left in the interior I used an entire can of upholstery cleaner on the headliner and pillar covers after them replacing my sunroof. As for attempting to glue your interior parts together, I think they would just leave mine broken in hopes I wouldn't find them, so I would score them one point for the effort! :bigroll:

Sorry for taking this thread off topic though. I don't know for sure how the rear seat comes apart, however, I have taken a quick look (I have the same problem you do with the rattle) at how it is all held together. I have noticed a few fasteners holding the seat-back to the body of the vehicle (accessible from the trunk). That would likely be a great place to start I'm guessing. After taking them out, it would likely be a few clips or something towards the bottom keeping it in place. You would likely have to take off the rear pillars also to remove the rear package shelf. Because of the rear airbags, be sure to disconnect the battery for several minutes before attempting this though. Airbags typically have about a 10 minute back-up incase of a power failure during an accident. I've never done this rear package shelf, but this is what I have noticed by looking at it quickly. Hopefully this helps!

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts

I understand your frustration, but if my car was under warranty I would still be inclined to go through the dealer. Is there another Cadillac dealer within and hours drive? Any Caddy dealer will work.

If this just isn't an option, I would be very tempted to buy the service manual. It should save you some hassles now and in the future.

Good Luck!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Lift up on the front edge of the rear seat to disengage the two clips and then pull up and forward to remove the lower seat cushion.

Not sure if this is accurate on '08 but I think it is...
Across the bottom there are 4 15mm nuts, remove them. Also remove the seat belt buckle anchor nuts. I think they are 18 mm. If you don't remove them they could get badly scratched when you take the seat out... so move them.
Next go into the trunk, across the top of the back of the seat you'll see 4 long studs with 10mm nuts on them. Not the ones for the handle, the other 4. Remove the nuts.
Now go back inside and unthread the seat belts from the outer guides and have an assistant help you remove the seat back by pulling forward and sliding it out one side, be careful not to scratch the sill plates! (cover with a towel, fender cover, or something that can stay put)

The rear sail panels have to come off to access the shelf, pop the air bag plugs out, remove the screws (one each side) and then the trim clips from the C pillars to slide them out.
Then you can get the shelf off.

Be careful going back together.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Oh you mean the bottom?
It's easier than you think, but if you have done it a few hundred times like I have it's not an issue.
Just grab and pull, she'll come out.

Put your hand about where the middle of a rear passenger would be on each side, about a foot in from each end?
The hooks are evenly spaced and there are 2 of them. If you grab it too far inboard or outboard it might seem harder.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac SRX 4.6L
5 Posts
I don't have a rattle but I do have a bad squeak in the drivers side rear seat. I've tried tightening everything I can get to but hasn't helped. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,694 Posts
I don't have a rattle but I do have a bad squeak in the drivers side rear seat. I've tried tightening everything I can get to but hasn't helped. Any suggestions?
Yes. Start another thread. Do a search. This thread is 6 years old. These guys are all dead and gone. You have the SRX, this is a CTS forum. Come on, man!

·
Registered
08 CTS blk/blk
383 Posts
Just sit on it push back with your butt and pull up. Its light as a feather and will pop right up.

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond tricoat 3.0 awd cts
143 Posts

You can take it to Any Gm dealer for warranty work. Doesn't matter where it was purchased.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts