Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'98 ETC Black 90k miles
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. As you all know, I drive an ETC, but one of my coworkers has a 1992 Cadillac DeVille with the 4.9L engine. He says there is some kind of oil leaking out from somewhere underneath the front passenger side, roughly parallel with the front doors. He says when he looked and felt around, the leak seemed to be coming from some kind of small radiator type thing - I was thinking maybe transmission cooler or something to do with the A/C, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Additional Info: The car sat for 7 months due to brake problems, and other body type troubles (hood latch, door locks, et cetera). It has 80,000 miles on a rebuilt motor (tranny was not rebuilt), and had maybe 100-120K miles on the car before that.

·
Registered
'98 ETC Black 90k miles
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ranger. The power steering fluid cooler? Would not have guessed that. What is the black stuff that's dripping out of it - it doesn't seem like it's P/S fluid. My coworker is having trouble finding the part (oh, and I'm in Lisle, IL right now - guest-visiting the office I'm transferring to) and I don't have full internet access - is there a part number for this thing that I can give him to look up?

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
Some people here cut the ps cooler off and connect the tubing with rubber hose; that's what I did too.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
yup. My '92 was leaking near the end and that is what I did. Cut the end off, made a loop with a bubber hose and kept about 3/4 of the cooler. Not sure how necessary it is anyway.

·
Registered
'98 ETC Black 90k miles
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My coworker is wondering what that black liquid is. Is that oil, and if so, where is it coming in to the P/S cooler from? Or is it P/S fluid, and if so, why is it jet black? Which end of the hose you were talking about should he cut if he wants to stop the leak or bypass the P/S cooler?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
If it is black, then there is a problem with the pump or the rack. Something is gonna go. You just cut the cooler off and connect the two lines together with a hose and clamps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts