Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001` Seville SLS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recommended to come here and ask you all since this is a Cadillac question and I really hope there is a simple fix.

This is my first post on this forum although I belong to a Foretravel motorcoach forum. I understand how things work and look forward to talking to all of you and perhaps offering my help when I can.

For the most part I am mechanically inclined ...to some degree. So I like to do as much as I can myself.

So, here goes...I took my wifes 2001 Seville SLS to Tennesse about a month ago and while going down I had "ok" air from A/C. When I was returning and about a 1/4 way back the air got warm like outside and there has been nothing every since.

I ran to the parts store and bought a connector hose and a couple cans of 134 freon and started to charge it. It seemed like it took forever to get the first can into the system and I really didn't notice a difference. Well, nothing has changed except the weather is getting hotter in northern Michigan so yesterday I went to the parts store and asked some questions.

There was a guy there who was a customer and he over heard my dilema and said that he had the same problem with his wifes Ford 4x4. When I said that the A/C comperssor would run about 30 seconds and stop, he said that unless the compressor is running I won't be able to get the freon in the system. He then said there was a way to "jump" something with a paper clip to cause it to run so freon can flow.

Right now it's like I can't get any freon to enter the system. I started a can yesterday and had to shut it off after about 10 minutes as it was not doing anything.

Also I did notice that when I turned the car on and the A/C yesterday, the line that you charge was cold until it connected to the union and converted tothe high side ( the larger nipple ) then the line was HOT. Mind you, it was all one line. the low nipple is about 3 inches from the union and then about 3 inches away from that is the larger nipple.

What would anyone with some knowledge suggest?

Thanks in advance

Sandelman

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,552 Posts
You DO need the compressor running to take a charge. See the sticky at the top of the page on pulling codes. You likely have one for low refrigerant. That will disable the compressor to prevent self destruction. Clear the codes to enable the compressor, then add the refrigerant. The union you speak of is where the orifice tube is and is the dividing line between the low pressure side and the high pressure side. It is also where the temperature changes from hot to cold.

·
Registered
2001` Seville SLS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Being new here I done understand some terms. I don't know what the "sticky" is that you mention or where it is at.
Also if I am going to have to check codes....how do I do this on my car myself? Advise please.

Thanks for your time.

Sandelman

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,041 Posts
Look at the top of the main Seville page - the top several threads are permanent "sticky" ones in that their position never changes - reference threads. Read the one titled "How to pull codes" and scroll down to the OBD-II procedures (your car's DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code - system).

Also, go to the top of the main page and read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive in the black bar ^^^ and also go down to Northstar Performance for more engine and transmission homework.

and..............:welcome:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts