Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
cts
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a misfiring ignition coil replaced. The mechanic who replaced it pointed out that there was an odd leak in the windshield cowling. To see it, you would open the hood and pour some water on the windshield. When the water collects and funnels to the center of the cowl, water will leak under the seam of the 2-piece cowl and drip down the back of the engine to the ignition coil area. The mechanic pointed out that the resevoir where the misfiring coil was had a lot of water in it. I cannot seem to seal the cowl seam to prevent water from leaking into the engine area. Seems like a design defect for the 2005 Cadillac CTS designed cowl. Not sure if others have the same problem and know of a fix. Thank you,.

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
Mine has always done the same. I thought it was normal to leak on the felt engine cover back there and with the heat of the engine just evaporate or just leak down by the tranny?

·
Registered
2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2
526 Posts
I had a misfiring ignition coil replaced. The mechanic who replaced it pointed out that there was an odd leak in the windshield cowling. To see it, you would open the hood and pour some water on the windshield. When the water collects and funnels to the center of the cowl, water will leak under the seam of the 2-piece cowl and drip down the back of the engine to the ignition coil area. The mechanic pointed out that the resevoir where the misfiring coil was had a lot of water in it. I cannot seem to seal the cowl seam to prevent water from leaking into the engine area. Seems like a design defect for the 2005 Cadillac CTS designed cowl. Not sure if others have the same problem and know of a fix. Thank you,.
Water gets into your engine bay all the time. If water leaking behind the engine is what caused your ignition coil to misfire, then I guess driving in the rain will do the same thing.

Here is why I know that is bullshit.

1. If you have a aftermarket grill, a ton of water will get into your engine bay.
2. I've washed my engine bay numerous times. I can start it up immediately after washing it and it starts up just fine.

If you have an ignition coil with water getting into it, that means the inserts in the valve covers that the ignition coils bolt into, is stripped. This means the ignition coil does not create a proper seal on top of the spark plug well. To test this, simply pop the hood and grab hold of one of the ignition coils. See if you can wiggle it up. If you feel it move up, then you need to replace the inserts. The only way I know to do this is to just buy new valve covers.

Another preventative step you could do if you decide you don't want to replace the valve covers is to put silicone all along the underside of the lip on the ignition coils (the upper part of the ignition coil that extends over the spark plug well and onto the valve cover). Silicone is great at keeping water at bay.

Either way, a little water dripping behind the engine isn't going to affect your ignition coils. If there was water in the spark plug well I can guarantee you that it's the inserts in the valve covers that are stripped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts