Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  hojomich 
#1 ·
Hello all. Newb here looking at becoming a first time CTS owner. I want to pick up a low mileage 1st Generation CTS with a manual transmission and was hoping to get some knowledge/info from you guys on the best one. Basically I have two questions

1. I understand that the 03-04 CTS have the 5 speed getrag 260 manual trans, while the 05+ have an Aisin. I have friends who are professional mechanics that tell me the Getrag is a far superior tranmission to the Aisin. What are your thoughts? have you driven both? what do you find to be the qualities of each respective transmission? smooth/abrupt clutch? notchy/crisp shifter? overall driving feel? etc. etc.

2. My second question in regard to the Engines. Would I regret getting a 2.8 or 3.2 and end up wishing I got a 3.6? Is there a very noticeable difference in the pick up of these engines, when equipped with a manual? What do you guys think is the best engine/tranny combo: 2.8/3.2 with getrag or 2.8/3.6 with Aisin? gas mileage?

Any additional thoughts beyond the questions I asked would be appreciated also. Want to be as informed as possible before I pull the trigger.

cheers,

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't really care about re-sale, since I'm buying a used one and only spending between 8-12K. By the time I'm done using it, it will be too old and have too high mileage for re-sale to even matter. I might care about resale if I was dropping 30K on a 2nd generation CTS, but I'm not.

Manual transmission is an absolute requirement for me. I absolutely hate driving cars with auto trans, and will never consider buying one. In fact, the only reason I'm considering a CTS is because it's one of the very few full size cars with a V6 that is offered in a manual. This is why the feel of the Getrag vs. the Aisin is important to me. A well done manual tranny vs. an awful one can make a big difference in driving pleasure.

#6 ·
I believe the 5-speed is Getrag and the 6-speed is Aisin. In 2003 only the 5-speed was available. People here will be telling you to get the 3.6L (2004+), but the 3.2 L is also a good engine for the manual transmission. I've driven a 3.6 (auto) and it didn't feel any quicker than my 3.2 (manual), although I'm pretty sure it actually is.

-GT

#7 ·
Sweet, a manual owner. If its not too much trouble can you tell me a little more about how you like the feel of the tranny on your car? I've test driven one but its different when you own one for a while and really get to know it & understand it vs. a quick test drive.

Do you find the clutch engagement to be smooth and luxury like or abrupt/jerky? Is the shifter crisp or rubbery?

And yes, you're right the Getrag is 5 speed and the Aisin is 6 speed. The 6 speed was introduced in 05. The 3.6 has 35 more horsepower than the 3.2. (220bhp vs. 255bhp) I think 04 is the only year that has 3.6 + 5 speed which makes it really hard to find.

#13 ·
Its the same trans thats used in the Toyota Tacoma and the Toyota Tundra. You might want to look there for reviews as well.

Ive read mostly good things about the 6 spd Aisin. I think youd be unhappy if you didnt get the 3.6L. The CTS needs all the power it can get. Plus, with the newer CTS, you could get a LSD, stickier summer tires, etc. If I were you, Id be getting an 06-07 with the 6 spd Aisin and the performance package.

#15 ·
I have an 05 3.6 with 6sp. Asin. I love it. I replaced the stock shifter with the B&M, about 1.5 hr job and it really shifts well now. The slow clutch in cold weather can be cured by bleeding the fluid every other year.
I would buy it again. As for the 3.2 vs 3.6, why settle for less if you can get more. Did you consider a used CTS-V?

#18 ·
randomhuman...you dont know his personality to talk the way you did to him, although it is funny. but i will be the first to admit, z06bigbird has a very dry sense of humor...

and some people prefer auto over manual. i am this way now, just for the simple fact i tore my ACL in my right knee, so for me to do all of that crazy shifting in stop and go traffic is absolutely hideous...

#19 ·
like i said, I wasn't trying to be mean. I didn't know what to make of his post.. couldn't tell if it was a serious question or a joke so I replied with the first thoughts that came to mind.

Sure, Auto is a more practical choice for some people, like if you have a bummed knee or just prefer comfort over driving experience. But for me personally they just make me fall asleep at the wheel.

Anyways, no need to turn this thread into an auto vs. manual debate. I just found the question "what's the difference?" to be quite silly and didn't get the Dr Phil & Mr. Rogers references.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.