Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to track down a problem with the horn on my 91 Allante. The relay works but power does not get to the horns. This should be simple to fix but I can't find where the horns are physically located!!! They must be tucked away behind something up front, but I have not been able to locate them. Can anyone direct me to the place in the car where the horns are physically mounted??

Thanks in advance for any clues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
jimboak said:
I am trying to track down a problem with the horn on my 91 Allante. The relay works but power does not get to the horns. This should be simple to fix but I can't find where the horns are physically located!!! They must be tucked away behind something up front, but I have not been able to locate them. Can anyone direct me to the place in the car where the horns are physically mounted??

Thanks in advance for any clues.
I don't know where they would be kept but logically i would check right in front of the engine right by the radiator, near the wheel wells, and also check from under the car as well. Hope this helps others with allantes will chyme in when they wake up today
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
jimboak said:
I am trying to track down a problem with the horn on my 91 Allante. The relay works but power does not get to the horns. This should be simple to fix but I can't find where the horns are physically located!!! They must be tucked away behind something up front, but I have not been able to locate them. Can anyone direct me to the place in the car where the horns are physically mounted??

Thanks in advance for any clues.
The horns are mounted on the inside of the bumper, which is inside the bumper cover.

Easiest way to get to them is probably from below, after removing the valence panel. Can also be reached from above, but the rubber shields are probably in the way. They're at the very ends of the bumper, in the corners of the bumper cover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I poked around almost everywhere except the bumper... I'll take your advice and go in from below.

That probably also explains why they quit working. A parking lot guy smacked that panel pretty good coming down a ramp a few weeks ago. I clipped it back up but didn't think to check the horn.

ckucia said:
The horns are mounted on the inside of the bumper, which is inside the bumper cover.

Easiest way to get to them is probably from below, after removing the valence panel. Can also be reached from above, but the rubber shields are probably in the way. They're at the very ends of the bumper, in the corners of the bumper cover.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
646 Posts
is it only me that has trouble handing off the keys to ANYONE?

i rather park on the street than hand off the keys ...



jimboak said:
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I poked around almost everywhere except the bumper... I'll take your advice and go in from below.

That probably also explains why they quit working. A parking lot guy smacked that panel pretty good coming down a ramp a few weeks ago. I clipped it back up but didn't think to check the horn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
No one else drives my Allante and that includes the girlfriend. If something happens, I want to be the one behind the wheel. If I know I'm going to have to leave the car somewhere, it stays in the garage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Had the same symtoms with my '87. Relay would click but no sound from horns. There is an in-line fuse RH (Pass. side) front of engine compartment on fender panel near the horn relay. It's in a black plastic case that the top pops open and you will see a fuse. When this fuse blows the horns will not sound. Dig deep towards the fender for the case it's hidden.

Regards,
Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rich - that was exactly the problem. The fuse holder was right where you said it would be, almost exactly behind the red box with the main battery connections. Replaced the blown fuse and everything is back to normal. Thanks a million.
Rich_M said:
Had the same symtoms with my '87. Relay would click but no sound from horns. There is an in-line fuse RH (Pass. side) front of engine compartment on fender panel near the horn relay. It's in a black plastic case that the top pops open and you will see a fuse. When this fuse blows the horns will not sound. Dig deep towards the fender for the case it's hidden.

Regards,
Rich
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
jimboak
Top