Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,

Some of you may have read in another thread where I talked about how I was taking my rear passenger side wheel off and realized that all of my wheel bolts were stripped and subsequently, while putting them back on, over torqued one of them and broke off the bolt itself.

I tried to go to my local dealership and get some wheel bolts on order and they came back with the BAD news that they can only order the whole hub (for $300 each), not just the wheel bolts separate. Damn, this sucks.

My question is what size are the wheel bolts and will I be able to find them in a local auto parts shop or am I screwed. Either way I am going to give Luke at Lindsay a call tomorrow and see if he can find these for me and I am also going to order a CTS armrest (it can't all be doom and gloom, you gotta give some love to the V). I will feel so much better when I get this clusterf*** taken care of and I don't have to worry about the damn wheels falling off of my baby.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope that's not the case, but I thought that I have read that a couple of guys on the forum have replaced their wheel bolts. One person said that the fronts were easy, but the rears had to have the whole hub taken off to get to the backside of the bolts. I am hoping that if someone has done this that they will chime in here...

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Assuming you find out the size, determine that you can press in new ones, but cannot get them from Lindsay - ARP and Moroso (among others) make aftermarket wheel studs. These can be purchased from Jegs (I see them in the catalog) and probably Summit Racing as well as other sources. Jegs and Summit are usually quick to deliver.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Yea if you can press new ones in i want mine longer! (hu hu hu) So i can put in some nice wheel spacers

·
Registered
05 Maggied V Black/Black
1,158 Posts
Get a new dealer, I ordered my stud from my dealer for $4 and some change each. Sorry I can't remember the part number. Call Luke he'll take care of you

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

I ordered 12 wheel bolts (decided just to do the rears for now) from Luke today and he had no problem hooking me up with them. He said that probably 95% of GM vehicles use these same size bolts, so in other words, the parts guy at my local dealership is a dumbf***. Luke is sending out the bolts with the new CTS armrest and I should have that stuff installed by early next week sometime. Thanks for the input fellas.

·
Registered
05 Maggied V Black/Black
1,158 Posts
I'd go by your dealer and show him a bolt and the part number, tell him he needs refresher training on ordering parts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Just got the bad news today that my 1 broken off wheel stud WILL NOT be covered under warranty. Bummer. They want $150+ to fix :bigroll:

Should not be too difficult to replace a front right wheel stud by myself. Anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got the bad news today that my 1 broken off wheel stud WILL NOT be covered under warranty. Bummer. They want $150+ to fix :bigroll:

Should not be too difficult to replace a front right wheel stud by myself. Anyone have any tips?
I may have to replace the front wheel bolts too, but as of right now I will be taking my car to a local guy who does alignment/wheel stuff and hopefully he won't have any problems putting in the new rear bolts. I am hoping that I might not even have to replace the fronts.

I have heard, though, that the fronts are as easy as just hammering out the old stud and hammering in the new one. But that may be oversimplifying it a bit. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Anyone have a GM part # for the wheel bolts? I am finally going to get around to buying one and replacing my snapped front right wheel bolt.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No part number, but if you give James @ Lindsay Cadillac a call, he will hook you up with the right size bolts. I just had all my rear bolts replaced and I just asked James for 12 new bolts and he sent me the correct ones.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
Anyone have a GM part # for the wheel bolts? I am finally going to get around to buying one and replacing my snapped front right wheel bolt.
I posted some info about this in the thread you started regarding this back in July. (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/109716-anyone-have-wheel-bolt-break-off.html)

In a nutshell, I replaced mine at the track. The front's are really easy. I bought the studs at the local autozone (they looked it up, and the studs fit perfectly). It was very simple. Below are the step that I took to replace mine. Worked for me, but you might want to check the repair guide.

1) Jack up car

2) remove wheel

3) remove calipers. Super easy, just turn wheel towards front of car. As long as you don't jack the car up to high, you can flip the caliper on it's end, and sit it on the ground out of the way

4) You'll see a small indentation on the hub, where the wheel studs can slide out without removing the hub. Mine had a small thin piece of metal covering the opening, that I quickly dispatched with a pair of tin snips.

5) line up the stud and tap it out with a hammer. remove studs.

6) slip new studs in. The OEM ones will just barely fit in without removing the hub.

7) Try to line the splines up, and keep the studs as straight as you can. you dont need to put them all the way in, just enough to get a few turns of the lug nut once the wheel is back on.

NOTE: When I did mine I only had two to replace. It might be wise to replace three at a time, to keep three which are lined up and 'true' so you don't get the studs off angle at all. Do 1, 3, 5 first pass, 2, 4, 6 the next.

8) Don't put the caliper back on yet, but put the wheel back on. hand tighten the lugs. Then snug them down enought to seat the studs. I wouldn;t go the full 100 Ft/Lbs yet, just tomake sure everything is all lined up. [take a picture of the caliper-less wheels at this point, to amaze your friends with that new fangled cadiallc caliper-less braking technology.]

9) Take wheel back off, and inspect studs to make sure they are seated flush and straight.

10) Repeat with 3 other studs.

11) Replace caliper. According to Bill @ lindsay, use red lock-tite, and torque to 96 Ft/lbs.

12) Put wheel back on and torque lug buts to 100 Ft/Lbs.

Hope this helps,

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts