Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering why my temp needle was passing the half mark on a regular bases. Now I know. Look at the pics of one of the hoses. Does anyone know what type of hose it is? The hose in the pic is leaking orange coolant and I'm looking to replace it and the other one obove it, but I don't know what hoses they are???? Heater??? Inlet???? Outlet???? I don't want to go to the stealership because they charge you just to even look at the car.

It looks like it's easy to replace. All I need is the hose and two clamps for the bottom and top hose. Also, do I need to do any draining of coolant fluid before I replace the two hoses?? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I could tell you exactly what hoses those are, but unfortunately I have a 96'.

I would hate to go against the 98-03 only policy of yours.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In my 95 Eldo, I changed all of the coolant system hoses, so I would'nt have this problem. The job was tough, and I do not know if there were any significant changes made between my year and yours. Your pics look a little different than mine did. In that area, mine used hose made from silicone, which can stand the extra heat in that area. You may want to replace any hoses in high heat areas with it, but it is expensive. The metel pipes that the coolant flows through along the back of the engine tend to rot out, so I bypassed them with lengths of rubber hose, and filled them to bleed the air out of them before starting the engine. Many hoses need to be bought pre-bent from Cadillac. I bought some of them, and put a spring in straight hose to make some other bends. Use Delco Coolant System Sealing Tabs, and put them in the lower radiator hose, not the black tank where the cap is. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
STS 310 said:
I could tell you exactly what hoses those are, but unfortunately I have a 96'.

I would hate to go against the 98-03 only policy of yours.
Could you please tell me? You would not be going against my policy because I don't have one lol. Besides, I happen to like the 1996 Seville STS. It looks like a nice car for my mother. Naw, I'm just playing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
STSOnly said:
Besides, I happen to like the 1996 Seville STS. It looks like a nice car for my mother. Naw, I'm just playing.
...Ow, that's a

-Mac

·
Registered
580 Posts
That appears to be your heater hose coming off of your thermostat. It ventures from your thermostat to the firewall and connects to a line that runs along the firewall to your surge tank. You will need to drain your coolant to change it and I think it's a 1/2 inch hose in diameter. Just take it in to autozone and tell them to match it up. You will need to cut the new hose yourself. Or just go there and ask for a 1/2 inch heater hose. I'm sure that's the diameter measurement. Don't forget to pick up 2 of the new style clamps this time as well because those old clamps dig into the hoses when they get old and rusted out and tear them up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
clusco said:
That appears to be your heater hose coming off of your thermostat. It ventures from your thermostat to the firewall and connects to a line that runs along the firewall to your surge tank. You will need to drain your coolant to change it and I think it's a 1/2 inch hose in diameter. Just take it in to autozone and tell them to match it up. You will need to cut the new hose yourself. Or just go there and ask for a 1/2 inch heater hose. I'm sure that's the diameter measurement. Don't forget to pick up 2 of the new style clamps this time as well because those old clamps dig into the hoses when they get old and rusted out and tear them up.
Thanks for your help. I have provided pics of the old hose below. The heater hose was actually 3/4" and it was replaced at Pep Boys for $81.49. Those old clamps gave the mechanics hell. They put the conventional scew hose clamps on the new heater hose. The stealership wanted $190 for the job.

One other thingy: They noted on my receipt that they recommend a coolant flush because my system was 'really rusted.' I didn't notice this note until I got home. I wonder if they were talking about the small pieces of pellets that were mixed with the coolant because there is no way in hell that my system would be rusted. After all, the stealership did my last coolant change when I changed the water pump. Also, is it possible for rust to occur in the 'system?' If so, how???

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
STSOnly