Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Deville
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New owner of a 2004 Deville. Car is immaculate inside and out. Bad news is after checking out this site I found that I am cruising for a bruising because of the head gasket stuff I see on here. The guy told me he used Blue Devil, but when he told me I had no idea what it was and why he used it. Could I get a motor out of a 2007 DTS and it would work? Would it be cheaper to take my current motor to like Thunderbolt or something like that and have them fix whatever is wrong? I'm in Houston so if anybody knows any good shops here that can get me squared away I'd really appreciate it. I have read something about bolts on here, but it's all Greek to me. Thanks in advance fellas.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,518 Posts
Re: Help thy noob

You need to diagnose and post your vague description of ??? what engine problem ??? What's (maybe) wrong ???

No, a 2007 Northstar will not work. The 2004 is a pretty bulletproof semi-final generation of Northstar. LOTS changed in 2006 as it also did in 1996, 1998, 2000.

DO NOT use snake oils to patch a problem. Repair it correctly.

You're on a steep learning curve - You need to study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar, then the several stickies at the top of this forum's main page as well as in Engines, Northstar and Cadillac Tech Tips.

EDIT: Saw and replied to your essentially duplicate post up in Pictures. Please keep repair/maintenance here and, if necessary, in Northstar engines. If the BlueShit is already in the engine, you have some limited time frame (tomorrow morning, next year ???) before problems recur - the problem is NOT the head gasket(s) - it's the head bolt hole threads in the cylinder block allowing the bolt(s) to pull and lose clamping force, thus compromising the gasket and fire ring. If you bought the car from a dealer you are the subject of sales fraud.

Would you have raised an eyebrow if the seller had said "The engine blew the head gaskets and we patched it up with snake oil !!" ???

www.northstarperformance.com or www.huhnsolutions.com and pray that the BlueShit has not ruined the block, heads, water crossover, heater circuit and radiator - it's the exact same stuff that was used to destroy engines during the government scam "Cash for clunkers". Sodium silicate. Google it. When I was a kid we bought the stuff at the corner pharmacy and called it "water glass". (Yes, it was substituted for engine oil in CFC, but ...............)

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,289 Posts
Re: Help thy noob

Hi all. New owner of a 2004 Deville. Car is immaculate inside and out. Bad news is after checking out this site I found that I am cruising for a bruising because of the head gasket stuff I see on here. The guy told me he used Blue Devil, but when he told me I had no idea what it was and why he used it. Could I get a motor out of a 2007 DTS and it would work? Would it be cheaper to take my current motor to like Thunderbolt or something like that and have them fix whatever is wrong? I'm in Houston so if anybody knows any good shops here that can get me squared away I'd really appreciate it. I have read something about bolts on here, but it's all Greek to me. Thanks in advance fellas.
=====================
like Sub said -
head gasket failure on a 2004 would be rare -

what makes you think you have a problem?

do you have any symptoms?

blue devil sells Crap-In-a-Can to "fix" ANY part of a car -
with the exception of a burned out lightbulb -
though I heard they are working on that too -

oil leaks - trans problems - coolant leaks - AC leaks - etc -

·
Registered
2004 Deville
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info fellas. He didn't say anything about blowing anything. He just said it while telling me about the car. It didn't make any sense at all until I came on here and saw the blown heads stuff. I don't have any symptoms that I know of. I just want to be proactive. This is gonna be my work car and I figure I'd swap engines before I miss a day at the job. I'll read up on the bolt stuff that you mentioned and see if I can find a mechanic down here that can knock it out. Oh yeah it wasn't a dealer. Just a guy selling a car. Thanks again guys!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
Failed HG's are not common on the '04's. I wonder if he may have misdiagnosed it and panicked.

What symptoms are you having now?

·
Registered
2004 Deville
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No symptoms at all. I read something on here about blue devil on one of the gasket topics and I remembered the guy I bought it from said something about blue devil so it made me panic. I was just trying to be proactive.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
:yeah: Flush it as best as you can and pray to the Northstar Gods.

·
Registered
Devilles: 04 Base,01 base,01 DHS,92 (parents)
211 Posts
I had recently picked up a 2004 deville as well. 138k miles. Great condition. Was repo car. Paid $1000. Anyway, it has NO absolutely NO symptoms of HG failure. And I've lived thru my 2001 HG failure. (Studded by joe). Yes has few annoyances, that I'm curing 1 to 2 per week. So I definitely agree with 2004 and 2005 northstar being bulletproof.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Is there a way to look at the coolant and tell that a product like Blue Devil has been added? I know in the past when I have used a leak-stop product for a temporary fix, it usually made my coolant look very murky and coppery. I've never actually seen the Blue Devil product out of the bottle. Could be that the guy didn't use the Blue Devil coolant stuff - may have been an oil additive, tranny slip-stop, something else from their company. Or he may have said the wrong product and actuall have run Lucas through the gas or something. Just saying, it might not mean much of anything at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts