Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
None yet....
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the forum and don't own a Cts V yet but I will eventually. I really only came on to vent but would like some input on what I should do. I have been searching for a CTS V for some time now but to no avail. You see, I am trying to trade a 2009 Chevy Colorado with the RARE 5.3 liter v8 Z71 offroad 4X4 crew cab black leather with 4:10 gears. Either straight across or cash and caddy. I finally found someone right down the street from me who was willing to do some business, but when I went to look at the car, I couldn't believe what I saw. This car was so badly beaten I wanted to slap the owner. There is a deep scratch from the top of the hood down through the center and the whole front bumper looked like it had been scraped against a parking garage wall. On both sides. The front drivers fender is damaged beyond repair due to the scrapes and what looked like what can only be described as a pair of c clamps just clamped on either side of the body line. The doors looked as if they had been rammed with shopping carts several hundred times and the rear fender looked like someone kneed it hard enough to crease it. The passenger side on the other hand looked OK under the dust of not having been washed for over 2 years. Then we drove it. WOW!! This car has A LOT of power. But has an extreme exhaust leak on the drivers side pipe and the owner had no idea. He thought that's just how it sounded. And the interior hadn't been cleaned in at least as long as the outside, if not longer. It has just over 100,000 miles on it and I need to know what to look out for with issues the car might have. Any input would be invaluable. Should I do it?

·
Registered
90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
1,178 Posts
I'd walk away. If he didn't even wash the car that makes me think what other maintenance he didn't do such as oil changes, trans fluid, coolant, etc, etc.

Good luck car hunting.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Keep looking there are some nice ones out there, be patient till the right one comes along. Might be tough trying to do some sort of trade though.

Welcome to the Forums!

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Sounds like that car has been heavily abused. Personally I'd keep the truck until a nicer one came along. A trashed out cadillac V is still trashed, and there's nothing cool or prestigous about driving a trashed out cadillac hot rod.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,723 Posts
Don't go there................ Given the description of the exterior I seriously doubt the oil has ever been changed.

·
Registered
None yet....
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Idk... I feel so bad for the car lol. He said its always been maintained with royal purple synthetic and changed every 5000. He just did an ls7 clutch conversion and I think that's where the exhaust leak happened. I'm thinking a donut didn't get put in right. It also has a volant CAI and super chips mod programmed by the owner of super chips himself. It sounds like he loves the car but after it got damaged on the front end, he just gave up caring. I think the body would be a cheap fix but my worry is the motor. How reliable is a bone stock LS6?

·
Administrator
70,723 Posts
The bone stock engine is fine - it's when the "mods" are started that reliability and longevity go straight down the drain. (Been there, done that. I build engines for fun and profit ..............) Aftermarket "CAI", chip, tune, whatever - don't fall for the "Oh, it's modded but I never drove it hard" line of BS.

Body - cheap fix ??? GOOD bodywork and GOOD paintwork (and this car sounds like it needs a complete resto paint job) is nothing close to cheap.

(Just read this thread again - over 100,000 on a "modded" engine ????? Walk.)

·
Registered
None yet....
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasn't aware that a tune and CAI counted as a mod to the engine. When I think of mods, I think of cam, heads, headers etc.

C

·
0 Posts
My main concern with the car is if he treated the exterior and interior like that I can not imagine how he probably neglected the engine..
those engines suck oil through the pcv system amongst other common engine problems, so if he treated the car that way I would have to assume he did the same with checking and keeping oil in the car..
Sounds like a guy that beat the hell out of the car

·
Administrator
70,723 Posts
I wasn't aware that a tune and CAI counted as a mod to the engine. When I think of mods, I think of cam, heads, headers etc.
If you don't think those are "modifications", walk into a GM dealer and present the question to the head sales rep or to a service writer..............or even in here, in the Cadillac Customer Service forum.

There may even be such a disclaimer in the owner's manual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts