Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Lexus RX350, Satin Cashmere Metallic
341 Posts
Wow; that is amazing; too bad you couldn't get that info back to Cadillac!! I am sure they would have a fix that included a different resistence in the wire; a whole new computer; or a plastic cover diverter; and all would enable a dealer to bill cadillac at least $300!! That is our Government Owned Manufacturer!..lol

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Northstar
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well the light has still been on in my car with no updates to the bulletin. I finally got tired of waiting and this week and I wrote a strongly worded letter to the Sales GM and the Service GM. Well the Sales GM called me first very apologetic that the used car guys hadn't escalated this issue further up the chain of command since the bulletin claimed a fix would come in July. He first discussed trading me out the vehicle to another one, but I'm buying a house right now and I don't want to do anything to will involve my credit until the house is built and I close in November. Too bad because it would have been a really nice deal! Get another car with nothing out of pocket for the exact same price. Kind of like an exchange :). Well the Service GM called me an hour later and said he didn't see any point in trading me out of a car that could be fixed. Lucky for me and to my surprise the Service GM's wife is an executive at the company I work for. I had no clue until she came and asked me if I was having car trouble because her husband saw the company name on the email I sent. He called her to see if she knew me and as big as our company is she is an exec in MY department. She told me not to worry about anything and he called back to tell me to drop the car off that afternoon and to plan on not getting it back until it was fixed. He said he had been with the company in Service for 21 years and he would personally see to it that the car was thoroughly checked out and anything that is wrong is fixed. He also said that the Used Car guys mean well, but I was to only speak with him from this point on. I picked up a SWEET Black loaded 2009 CTS with 200 miles on it as a loaner on Wednesday. Now just waiting around to see what they say! Loving the CTS, but it's worth about more than double what I paid for the SRX so needless to say I drive it very very carefully!

·
Registered
'08 SRX4 V8 Sport
251 Posts
I hope you showed him the posts or told him about the way TimmyC was able to solve his similar problem. Uhh..h.h.. maybe not if you are enjoying your time with that CTS:lol:

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
I fixed the problem! Like I said in my last post, the problem is the MAF not reading the proper amount of air. I looked at the sensor and there is a wire that extends maybe 1/3 of the way across. The computer keeps that wire hot and measures how much current it takes to keep it that way. More air going across it cools the wire faster and necessitates more juice to keep it hot and vice versa.

In our case the calibration table that the computer reads is not correct, it's not putting enough fuel in for the amount of air that is consumed by the motor. The proper fix would be to change this table in the computer. Since that is impossible we have to move to more creative solutions.

My solution was to divert the air from the part of the MAF that the sensing wire does not cover to the part of the sensor that the wire does cover. My ingenious diverter? a piece of electrical tape! I put one strip across the MAF and cleared the codes. I drove it for a few weeks like that and the light didn't come back on. I checked for the code that precedes the light and that was not present either. It wouldn't go more than a couple days before my little modification. It sounds like a half-baked plan but it worked without side effects. The car runs perfectly and no one will ever know that there is a piece of tape in there.

Good analytical thinking.
Also good fix. :)

You may want to check on the tape every once in a while..to make sure it is not coming loose.
Remember ... it is subjected to a lot of heat under the hood, which may affect the stickiness of the tape.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Well the light has still been on in my car with no updates to the bulletin. I finally got tired of waiting and this week and I wrote a strongly worded letter to the Sales GM and the Service GM. Well the Sales GM called me first very apologetic that the used car guys hadn't escalated this issue further up the chain of command since the bulletin claimed a fix would come in July. He first discussed trading me out the vehicle to another one, but I'm buying a house right now and I don't want to do anything to will involve my credit until the house is built and I close in November. Too bad because it would have been a really nice deal! Get another car with nothing out of pocket for the exact same price. Kind of like an exchange :). Well the Service GM called me an hour later and said he didn't see any point in trading me out of a car that could be fixed. Lucky for me and to my surprise the Service GM's wife is an executive at the company I work for. I had no clue until she came and asked me if I was having car trouble because her husband saw the company name on the email I sent. He called her to see if she knew me and as big as our company is she is an exec in MY department. She told me not to worry about anything and he called back to tell me to drop the car off that afternoon and to plan on not getting it back until it was fixed. He said he had been with the company in Service for 21 years and he would personally see to it that the car was thoroughly checked out and anything that is wrong is fixed. He also said that the Used Car guys mean well, but I was to only speak with him from this point on. I picked up a SWEET Black loaded 2009 CTS with 200 miles on it as a loaner on Wednesday. Now just waiting around to see what they say! Loving the CTS, but it's worth about more than double what I paid for the SRX so needless to say I drive it very very carefully!

iprncess,

Good for you. :) :) :) :)
Glad to hear that you are finally going to get your problem resolved.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Northstar
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I hope you showed him the posts or told him about the way TimmyC was able to solve his similar problem. Uhh..h.h.. maybe not if you are enjoying your time with that CTS:lol:
haha...Maybe I'll print it out and show them later, a few more days with the CTS would be nice! My boys are enjoying the "cool car" :)

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts

You may want to check on the tape every once in a while..to make sure it is not coming loose.
Remember ... it is subjected to a lot of heat under the hood, which may affect the stickiness of the tape.

Texas Jim
Of course to help keep the heat from destroying the stickiness of the tape, you could just put the tape over the light. That way you wouldn't see the light and it would probably stay there for a while. It would also be easier to change.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,907 Posts

Texas Jim
I put the tape on the upstream side of the mass air so the flow will keep it on the screen. The air going across it will also keep it cool. With the light off I got the car sold too!

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Northstar
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
YAY! My car is fixed. I didn't want to get excited too fast, but it has been 2 weeks since I picked it up and the SES light has not been back on. I also now average 15 mpg instead of 13. Apparently an updated bulletin WAS out for my car and used cars hadn't done the due diligence to find it. All they had to do was reset or reprogram something in a computer somewhere. Can you tell I have no clue what was actually done? I have the printout from service and a copy of the bulletin, but I haven't really read it. Not sure how any of it would effect the mpg if it wasn't mechanical, but I knew my low mileage and the SES light were connected and I was right. I've filled up 3 times since getting the car back and I haven't been back in the 12/13 mpg range since I dropped it off. Sooooo happy this whole ordeal is over!
:sunnynana:

41 - 49 of 49 Posts