Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Northstar
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Re: Help! Starting to HATE my new SRX :-(

4.8L.....yeah that was a typo...had V8 on the brain.

Well we've been friends with the sales manager a while (3 dealerships ago lol) and I do believe that he would be the first to say "They don't have a clue what is going on. Let me call one of the other 20 sales guys we hang out with and have you take it to another GM Service center". He did say that the service department is out to make money just like they are and if they had a chance to fix something and charge parts, labor, etc to used cars they would have gladly done it.

I read the bulletin over and over and planned to take it with me to another dealership tomorrow then......the light was off when I left work this afternoon. Guess I have to wait until it comes back on to find out what the deal is. The bulletin from GM is dated June 9 (day before I bought my car :rofl:) and states that they hope to have a solution by July 2009 (No specific date)

It continues....

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts

Ok...I yield ...for now. :) :)

Looks like they (GM) are working on it.
I really hope you get it resolved soon.
I know you will love it when the problem is fixed. :) :)

The N* is a great engine.
I have put well over 100,000 miles on my two 2006 DTS's.
I have had ZERO engine or transmission trouble.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Northstar
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Actually Jim I really appreciate all your advice with this. The light is gone for now and I had a very pleasant driving experience today. For the first time I had to pick up speed rather quickly and maneuver around another car and I must say it handled better than my Accord. I was very impressed.

I'll wait to see if A. The light comes back on, or B. They contact me with a solution. If/When the light comes on, I'll get a second opinion.

Over 100K Miles, that's impressive. I hope to be so lucky. I'm glad to be supporting American made right now. Kinda feel like I made at least a small difference having decided on the Cadillac instead of the Honda.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 1999 DeVille Concours
514 Posts

We have 2 N*V8s: a 1999 N*V8 (300 HP, FWD, 4 sp auto) DeVille Concours and a 2005 N*V8 (320 HP RWD, 5 sp auto w/ shifter) SRX and we have had no problems with either.
We do find thatthe 99 typically has ~ 20% better fuel economy - city or hiwy driving - and we love both.
We agree that your problem is typical af an unwanted input air leak somewhere. We hope that you can find a mechanic who can find and fix it.
Good luck

·
Registered
2007 SRX V8 AWD Sport
9 Posts

Princess I'm afraid you are never going to be happy with this car until you quit looking at your MPG. Get the air leak fixed, but quit trying to compare this car to the Pilot. The Honda weighed in at 4300-4600lbs depending on 4x4 or not. You are now in a vehicle weighing in at OVER 6000lbs. Next time you pull up next to a pilot at a stoplight push on the accelerator hard and glance back in your rearview mirror, I am sure you will see the grill of a Honda Pilot! What were you thinking you would see for MPG's with the V8? I just picked up an 07 SRX N* AWD with the sport pkg and 20" wheels CPO'ed for my wife and this thing flat out HAULS A$$ plus I have 74K miles and almost 4 years to fix problems under warranty! I don't really care what the MPG is, I care about how safe my family is and that the car can get out of the way when necessary. My truck 2500HD 4x4 Crew has the 8.1 engine with the Allison transmission and I can haul as much as the diesels, but toast em from a light. You picked the V8, which in my opinion is the best option for this vehicle and you are just going to have to accept it or you might as well go back to the Honda and keep looking at the rear end of SRX's with the N*

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts

Princess I'm afraid you are never going to be happy with this car until you quit looking at your MPG. Get the air leak fixed, but quit trying to compare this car to the Pilot. The Honda weighed in at 4300-4600lbs depending on 4x4 or not. You are now in a vehicle weighing in at OVER 6000lbs. Next time you pull up next to a pilot at a stoplight push on the accelerator hard and glance back in your rearview mirror, I am sure you will see the grill of a Honda Pilot! What were you thinking you would see for MPG's with the V8? I just picked up an 07 SRX N* AWD with the sport pkg and 20" wheels CPO'ed for my wife and this thing flat out HAULS A$$ plus I have 74K miles and almost 4 years to fix problems under warranty! I don't really care what the MPG is, I care about how safe my family is and that the car can get out of the way when necessary. My truck 2500HD 4x4 Crew has the 8.1 engine with the Allison transmission and I can haul as much as the diesels, but toast em from a light. You picked the V8, which in my opinion is the best option for this vehicle and you are just going to have to accept it or you might as well go back to the Honda and keep looking at the rear end of SRX's with the N*
The curb weight of the SRX is roughly 4200-4500 lbs, depending on engine and equip (like sunroof and 3rd row). The GVWR used to be ~6000 lbs but is now something over 7,000 lbs IIRC.

In any case, the OP was actually comparing the SRX's mileage with that of her '07 Accord (don't know if it was a V6 or an I4) and that is an even stranger comparison.

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Northstar
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

N* is correct, I was comparing it to my Honda Accord which I NEVER expected them to get the same MPG, however even if you are prepared for it, going from a car getting 24 MPG in the city to an SUV getting (now) 13 MPG might just be a teeny tiny bit of a shocker and take a little getting use to. :confused:

Not sure if you read the entire thread or just the original post and then pounced, but I actually love the car and have from the day I got it, but it would be frustrating for ANYONE who goes from a perfect vehicle with zero problems, trades up to a luxury vehicle with high expectations and starts having issues causing it to be in and out the shop FOUR times before the permanent plates are even on. Kinda think I have the right to be just a little frustrated :rolleyes:

I also love how people who are having zero problems and don't have a clue how you feel, choose to say "suck it up and deal" as opposed to actually offering some real advice. I believe I have the right to express my frustrations and STILL like my car. It's also kinda crappy that I even had to explain that but whatever...

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Northstar
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Ok...I yield ...for now. :) :)

Looks like they (GM) are working on it.
I really hope you get it resolved soon.
I know you will love it when the problem is fixed. :) :)

The N* is a great engine.
I have put well over 100,000 miles on my two 2006 DTS's.
I have had ZERO engine or transmission trouble.

Texas Jim
Jim,
Light came back on yesterday..you'll be happy to know I'm taking it in for a second opinion tomorrow morning. Will fill ya in!

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts

N* is correct, I was comparing it to my Honda Accord which I NEVER expected them to get the same MPG, however even if you are prepared for it, going from a car getting 24 MPG in the city to an SUV getting (now) 13 MPG might just be a teeny tiny bit of a shocker and take a little getting use to. :confused:

Not sure if you read the entire thread or just the original post and then pounced, but I actually love the car and have from the day I got it, but it would be frustrating for ANYONE who goes from a perfect vehicle with zero problems, trades up to a luxury vehicle with high expectations and starts having issues causing it to be in and out the shop FOUR times before the permanent plates are even on. Kinda think I have the right to be just a little frustrated :rolleyes:

I also love how people who are having zero problems and don't have a clue how you feel, choose to say "suck it up and deal" as opposed to actually offering some real advice. I believe I have the right to express my frustrations and STILL like my car. It's also kinda crappy that I even had to explain that but whatever...
It does suck and I was in your shoes for a (thankfully) brief period with our '04 SRX. But it was a performance vehicle (which the Accord isn't) and has a lot of characteristics that are worth putting up with the frustrations. However, you haven't owned it long enough to truly appreciate those positive attributes - at least not enough to take the warts in stride. I hope that time comes for you.

·
Registered
2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 1999 DeVille Concours
514 Posts

So I get "the call" and the mechanic says that they have looked at my car from top to bottom and nothing is mechanically wrong with it............
So for now, I have to stare at the SES light until they figure out the problem......GM I hope this is something you reinvent during your big reinvention!
"Splain" to your dealer that "you understand that it is NOT A MECHANICAL problem" (the computer is NOT BROKEN, it just needs a computer savvy technition to correct the malfunction). Back in "the old days", GM could almost always get it right. Not sure Government Motors can or will, but we surely hope they do; meanwhile we may have to identify reputable independents to perform our service.
Good luck, we wish you the best!! SRX is a great vehicle and the N*V8 is still one of the best!!

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts

I don't know if they still do this or not...but about 4 years ago, I was talking to a N* powertrain engineer.

He said they would periodically pull a new engine from the assembly line and take it to the Dyno room.

They would then run it for THREE HUNDRED HOURS...at 6000 RPM.
Thats 12.5 DAYS...running wide open...24 hours a day.
Then they would tear it down and inspect it for any wear or issues.

Very seldom was there any problem at all.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Northstar
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

"Splain" to your dealer that "you understand that it is NOT A MECHANICAL problem" (the computer is NOT BROKEN, it just needs a computer savvy technition to correct the malfunction). Back in "the old days", GM could almost always get it right. Not sure Government Motors can or will, but we surely hope they do; meanwhile we may have to identify reputable independents to perform our service.
Good luck, we wish you the best!! SRX is a great vehicle and the N*V8 is still one of the best!!
Thanks

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,907 Posts

Any updates on this? My STS is doing th same thing. I don't see any air leaks and I swapped the MAF with another STS with no codes and it is still doing it. Same codes as this poster. p1101, p0068, and p0174.

I read in the STS forum that it is a problem with the computer software and there is no solution. I hope that is not the case because I need to sell this car and that SES light is going to make it harder.

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Northstar
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

I should know something soon although it isn't looking good. I was planning to take mine in on Saturday for a second opinion, but service was closed. I dropped it off yesterday around 2 and so far...nothing. I just called about 30 minutes ago and the guy said they haven't pin pointed a cause yet, but are still looking. I'm thinking that my original guys may have been right.

Timmy, the STS is listed on the same bulletin I received. I'm waiting on a fix as well, if that really is the problem. Performance wish my SRX has been great. I do notice what feels like a slight rocking when I'm at a light, but I'm not sure if that's a big deal. I don't feel it all the time, and I'm not really sure if "rocking" is the correct way to describe it, but the first time I noticed it I immediately turned to see if my little one was dancing around (he does that while watching Madagascar :) ) but he wasn't moving.

I'll post as soon as I hear something. I did check the MPG on Saturday and it said 12.6 average MPG. I decided at the point to NOT LOOK AT IT AGAIN. Just enjoy the car and gas it up whenever she gets thirsty. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts

Since my last post the light has stayed off. I won't know for a couple days or a week but it seems like the MAF fixed it.

·
Registered
Base 2007 Escalade EXT, 04 Cadillac SRX V8
271 Posts

I got 11 mpg with the cruise set on 100mph from Hamburg to berlin (Germany). Anybody got any lower? Yes, hwy driving...

·
Registered
1,907 Posts

Since my last post the light has stayed off. I won't know for a couple days or a week but it seems like the MAF fixed it.
It was off for 4 days then came back. I turned it off again and it's still off as of now.

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Northstar
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

It was off for 4 days then came back. I turned it off again and it's still off as of now.
Well I got the same answer from my second opinion as I did with my first. They didn't have a clue and the light still came back on. I'm just waiting for the update to the bulletin. Not even concerned with it at this point.....If it doesn't however get cleared up in 6 months I'll probably be trading in the car.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I wouldn't care if I was going to keep the car. I'd just turn it off when it comes on.

It seems that the problem is the mass air is reading less air than what's actually going by it. This causes the computer to add too little fuel and you get the lean codes. I wonder if there is something that could be done to "fool" the mass air sensor into reporting more air. Some kind of modification to cause more of the air to go across the wire.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I fixed the problem! Like I said in my last post, the problem is the MAF not reading the proper amount of air. I looked at the sensor and there is a wire that extends maybe 1/3 of the way across. The computer keeps that wire hot and measures how much current it takes to keep it that way. More air going across it cools the wire faster and necessitates more juice to keep it hot and vice versa.

In our case the calibration table that the computer reads is not correct, it's not putting enough fuel in for the amount of air that is consumed by the motor. The proper fix would be to change this table in the computer. Since that is impossible we have to move to more creative solutions.

My solution was to divert the air from the part of the MAF that the sensing wire does not cover to the part of the sensor that the wire does cover. My ingenious diverter? a piece of electrical tape! I put one strip across the MAF and cleared the codes. I drove it for a few weeks like that and the light didn't come back on. I checked for the code that precedes the light and that was not present either. It wouldn't go more than a couple days before my little modification. It sounds like a half-baked plan but it worked without side effects. The car runs perfectly and no one will ever know that there is a piece of tape in there.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts