Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, Merry Christmas to you all.

Mine was going pretty good until about 8:30 this morning when I hopped on I-95 and ran up to about 90. Suddenly my black canvas Roadster top ripped back far enough to see it in my rear window.

Fortunately I was headed to an upholstery shop to have my 2 front seats re done. Here's what I need help with;

1. They want $750 to repair the 5 foot rip in the fiberglas form and recover the entire top in black canvas. Any opinions on the price ?

2. They say a new form is about $450. Does that sound right ?

3. Finally it seems the Roadster top was held on to the stainless steel roof underneath with some kind of black sticky stuff. They want to screw the top on if they do the work which I don't like the sound of. Any opinions on what's the right way to do it ?

That's it. Any help would be appreciated.
Once again Merry Christmas folks

Bob G.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I cant speak for the prices, but I know the blacky sticky stuff was used. Earlier this year I was doing ....the speed limit... on I-91 when the part of the roadster top attached to the drivers door on my '89 did the same thing. I cleaned off the black gunk and reattached it with clear silicone caulk. it has been holding fine.

FWIW

K

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
It's encouraging to hear yours is holding without the need to screw it into the roof. I'd really hate to see them drill into that stainless steel top. My guess is your fiberglas mold didn't tear, unfortunately mine did which raises the question if I should let them repair that or get a new mold. I've got a '66 LeMans waiting to start some repairs so I need the Caddy back so I'm probably going to go for it. Thanks for your feedback.

BTW I'd like to see some pix of your '68 Convertible if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks again,

Bob G.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts