Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I am about to start the task of reviving my 97.. I was wondering what brand and type of head gaskets are best to get the job done right. I decided to go ahead and time-sert the block while I have torn down so I don't have to worry about it later. While I have the engine out I will also be replacing the valve stem seals, the oil pan seals and I was even thinking about going ahead and re-ringing it as well, since I have seen some blue smoke from time to time.. my questions are as follows, what brands and type of gaskets last the longest? should I go ahead and replace the valve seats (because the car sat SEVERAL years without being started before I bought it). What else should I do while I have it out? Like preventative maintenance.. any input will be appreciated, I have never pulled out a Northstar before, I could use some tips.. thank you all in advance!

Side note: the car just crossed 100k last month.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,374 Posts
Welcome to CF !!!

Why are you removing the engine in the first place?

Study up on the cooling system in the stickies in Engines; Northstar.

Everything you ever want to know about the Northstar - maintenance, overhaul, repair - is in the threads ans stickies here and in Engines; Northstar. You will need the GM/Cadillac service manuals for all the special procedures and torques. www.alldatadiy.com or paper copies on eBay. Lift the car off the entire powertrain - comes out the bottom.

FelPro makes some damn fine gasket sets for our engines. Valve stem seals, probably all 32 cam followers, forget the rings - good for over 200,000 and you DO NOT want to disassemble the lower end. Bearings and crank are good and no oversizes or sophisticated radius fillet crank machining possible. Special procedure for the oil pan seal - no gasket - GM RTV Gray. NEW GM head bolts into BigSerts - not TimeSerts..... or into the NS300L inserts - www.huhnsolutions.com.

171K Cyl.jpg

oil pan 7 quarts.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts