Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS (106k miles body 77k motor, black)
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Long explanation leading up to the problem so everyone understands what all happened

So this started out as a venture between me and a buddy to replace the tcc solenoid... because I recently started showing abs and traction lights on along with the infamous P0741 code but I still had over drive so we figured it was just the solenoid. Anyway we got the side cover apart and while removing the solenoid it broke and part fell down so we ended up dropping the whole motor and axle and lifting the body high enough off the motor to get the side cover off found the lost piece put everything back together just fine... well we are still unsure if it has fixed the tcc problem... but now we realized I have no steering... the wheel turns freely with no resistance

Anything extra we have to do? Fuze somewhere? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,268 Posts
well we are still unsure if it has fixed the tcc problem...
if the only code you had was P0741 - the problem is/was NOT with the solenoid -
so - replacing the solenoid will have absolutely no affect -
so you still have the same problem -

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Did you hook the rack back up to the column??? Sounds like you didn't to me.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
Subframe is lowered to access side cover removal. Rack is attached to subframe. U did pull pinch bolt on rack before lowering subframe? U can lower subframe and disconnect rack so it remains hanging against firewall but it is hard.

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
If you left the pinch bolt in and DIDN'T remove it when lowering the subframe, you probably damaged the rack.

The steering column has a pinch bolt under the dash to remove the column and there's a pinch bolt at the rack to remove the rack. Therefore there are two places to double check that are fastened together.

In my opinion you maybe replacing the rack and pinion now. DO NOT let the steering wheel to spin freely or you'll be replacing a clockspring too.......

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS (106k miles body 77k motor, black)
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we looked past the bolt we were supposed to take out followed the shaft down to some splines that where detached from the rest of the steering and are in the process of putting it back together... but as far as the tcc when we took the side cover off the solenoid connector was either cracked or broke all together off the solenoid because when we pulled the connector off it broke... and I can say with all certainty it didn't break because of us. So we assumed it was the solenoid alone... tranny doest leak at all to my knowledge... if it does it is a very negligible amount... there isn't even any build up of road grime on or around the tranny case...keep in mind we haven't had it out of the garage yet so I'll keep this up to date as far as progress

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,584 Posts
The leak we are talking about when referring to the P0741 code is internal. You'll never see it. The only way you know it's leaking is because of the code.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
if you hold motor/trans and drop subframe, you still cannot get side cover off. you also need to lower trans slightly to clear frame rail. but, when you lower subframe you must remove pinchbolt which is under rubber bellows against firewall. sounds like you did not

1 - 11 of 11 Posts