Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help...I was driving my 98 STS today and now my rear end is all the way up in the air. It looks rediculous. Please help what can I do to fix it????

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Do a search on getting the codes from the onboard diagnostics. That will be a starting point.

There are trim position sensors on the front of the rear suspension (under the car)... it's possible that there's a malfunction there.

Hopefully finding out the codes and posting them on here will yield more clues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have a service suspension sys message. But I have had that for a while. I heard something about pulling the battery cable and it will reset itself. I saw someone else on this forum had the same problem, but cant find it. There was some sort of process to it, and was able to fix it. Please help!

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
TheGameCaddy said:
Well I have a service suspension sys message. But I have had that for a while. I heard something about pulling the battery cable and it will reset itself. I saw someone else on this forum had the same problem, but cant find it. There was some sort of process to it, and was able to fix it. Please help!
Click the link below to learn how to check the codes, then post them here and we can help you further:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53635

·
Registered
1998 STS
49 Posts
I had the same problem with mine and it ended up being a height sensor. Be careful when you drive your car like that, I found it very unstable with the rear end elevated.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Could your Caddy be in heat? :eek:
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sounds like a position sensor to me but that's the extend of my help. I'd like to know what you do to fix it though.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
20 Posts
My '98 has the opposite problem. It's all the way down. I know the shocks are shot, but I think the sensors my be messed up too, because the pump will do a self test, so I know it works, but the pump doesn't try running to raise the car. I even disconnected the rods and tried different postions, and nothing happened. I don't have any codes either.

Does anyone know how to test the sensors? Does it vary the resistance? The voltage?

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
Sounds to me like the rear ride height sensors may be disconnected. Check and see if the small tie-rods that run from each sensor to the rear control arm are attached. If they came loose, the sensor arms are spring load and will go all the way up, making the car thing it's bottomed out in the back. It defintitely sounds like it has something to do with the rear height sensors. The pump must be working, since it managed to rais e the rear end all the way up. I would check the sensors first.

·
Registered
50 Posts
First check that the sensor tie rod did not fall off, they clip on and they can come off pretty easily.Look under your car you will see a little rod that connects the lower suspension to a small box that is the sensor. Mine did this before it would pump up but the exhaust valve on the compressor was bad so it would not release the pressure. I would pull a rear tire and pull the air hose that goes to the shock and release the air,it releases the pressure in both shocks so you only have to do one side.That worked fine but everytime I started the car the compressor would cycle like it was suppose to but the shocks would pump up after a few starts the rear was up in the air again. Finally I let the air out and pulled the fuse for the compressor, I forgot about it till this post, but I probably won't fix it, it's been months and I usually have no more than 2 people in the car so I never notice the rear sitting low because of weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts