Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help with my 2005 STS. Car as about 120k miles and up until this winter it has had only a few minor issues.

Started back in Feb. when on a particular cold morning I got the "No FOB Detected" message while trying to leave for work. Battery was a few years old so went and purchased a new one at Walmart. Car ran as normal for about 2 weeks and then one day, went to leave for work in the am and car battery was totally dead. No interior lights, nothing. Jumped the car that evening and drove around for a few hours, and the battery held up for a few days. Soon after started to have the drivers door pop open when I got in and started the car. Couple of times would stop at a gas station to grab a cup of coffee and leave the car running only to find the drivers side door partially open when I came out. Over the next couple of weeks the battery would be dead if the car sat idle for more than 12 hours. One night a couple of hours after jumping the car was outside with the dog and noticed a noise from the car that sounded as it does when approaching the car with the FOB, but The FOB was in the house 100ft away.

I had the alternator and starter checked at local parts store along with the battery. Everything came back ok. Car is at trusted(non cadillac) local auto mechanic but is having trouble tracing this issue down. Have been combing the forums but have seen no others with this issue.

Looking for any advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55
705 Posts
:stirpot: :welcome:Sometimes resetting the ECM, solves a lot of problems.
Even though you don't think so. :wave:
Disconnect the negative cable on the battery,
Some of the other guys, want you to touch them together,
I prefer to wait it out, and step on the brakes. To drain the residual
(Charge) on the system, and take it to ZERO. :wtf:
Leaving it disconnected a couple of hours, does NOT Hurt.
Either way try to re-connect it without causing Click, Click, click, etc.
Just reconnect and one click. Try NOT to hurry, to restart it.
Wire brushing the Facing contacts Helps a lot !Both sides.
This is a computer controlled system, NOT WINDOWS.:excited:
But still needs to be reset, from time to time.
This reset will cost you NOTHING, but some time. :jawdrop:
Happy Motoring :golden:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think of it as rebooting your PC.
Thanks for the tip.

A couple of times the car sat with the battery dead for 24+ hours. Would this reset the computer?

Car has been in the shop for 4 days. Mechanic says the car is possessed due to the drivers side door popping open at random times. He thinks its tied to the door actuator. Not really sure how this is drawing the battery down but said he can disable it and should fix the battery drain issue. I would just have to use the actual door key to get in and out.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55
705 Posts
This would NOT reset the computer, it was operating at lower voltages
than expected, So it would do wierd stuff.(possessed)
Disconnection is the "RESET".So it will reboot.
A dead battery to you is: It won't start.
But to the system, a dead battery is Zero volts.
Lead Acid batteries NEVER go to zero volts.
If they do, You NEED a NEW battery.
Happy Motoring

1 - 5 of 5 Posts