Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have a 2005 cadillac cts 3.6L V6, oil and fluids changed religiously, and have had an issue pop up twice
recently within last week, id go to turn on the car after its been off no longer than 20 minutes and the battery voltage
will have dropped down to 10.2 and car wont start and go into battery saver mode, but radio lights
etc work, but is perfect after jumped. This time it happened at the gas station, now my d.i.c says low range but i have a full tank of gas???
had my battery checked today also right after and it read good battery, last thing i had fixed on this was
12/17/14 not even three full months by gm dealer was my timing all chains tensioners gaskets guides and sprocket.
Any clue what this could be?​

·
Registered
2010 CTS Premium
179 Posts
Battery voltage on your display should be 13.2 when key is on and 14-15 when running. How old is battery?

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery was bought 12/13, and that's right on the money with the voltage until that issue happens, I'm wondering if the starter is the cause and pulling the energy out of the battery because it's getting weak maybe?

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to check that now, and another symptom I forgot to mention were the clicks I'd hear when I would try and start it, when everything would die out.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just had my entire charging system checked and everything is fine there, so my starter idea is out the window now, I'm scratching my head.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
147 Posts
I had this issue, turned out my 14 month old battery had a bad cell. Replaced battery under warranty and all was good again.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
3 Posts
As a quick fix right now I have ran a push button to my starter relay so that wen it decides to click I hit the button and the car fires right up. I'm timed improperly the ecu will read that u are "hotwiring" the car and disable the key. I think my problem is in my ignition switch as I have been driving and just had my car turn off on me and say, "key disabled" this is happening to me on an 03 CTS with the 3.2

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
848 Posts
I had a funny experience regarding strange battery behavior. Was usually okay, but during driving, all the displays started going haywire. Everything flashing, odometer speeding up, engine cut out quietly, etc.

Turns out, mechanic said that the plates inside were loose and banging into each other. Thus shorting things out.

Did not know that was possible! On a 1 year old battery. Got warranty replacement. Whew!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts