Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after thinking about it I purchased the Infinity Basslink powered Subwoofer.

It has dual 10" Subs (one on each side) with a 200W amp.

I want to install it on my own, but have little experience. Last weekend I installed an AUX input with the GM10AUX from PIE (ran RCAs from the CD changer location to the glovebox--it was easy and fun to do--gave me the courage to do this install here).

Mounting it
I want to mount it where the CD changer was. I noticed that's metal not wood so I guess I need a drill? any suggestions on that are appreciated.

Powering it
I thought I'd be able to splice something behind the rear seat since that's where many fuses are but apparently that's not the correct way to do it.. I need to send a 12 gauge power cable direct to the battery... where is the firewall opening to do this?
For the GROUND: I am thinking of using the CD changer bolts where it attached to the metal floor of the trunk. If I could get brackets or something I may be able to use those holes to attach a plate with the subwoofer on it?

The Basslink has a REM (remote-turn-on) which should be a +5 to +12 vdc signal. Apparently it's not necessary if I use speaker level wires which I plan to use as inputs as it's one of the options with the Basslink (those are the easiest to splice in my case) So I can skip this step, apparently.

Speaker-Level Inputs--is BOSE any different?
Will the BOSE speaker-level inputs (the two little slide on cables that power the speaker) be ok? I think they should (doesn't BOSE run on different OHMS etc).

My Install KIT
So I purchased the cheapest AMP wiring kit that met the 12 gauge power cable/ground with 20 amp fuse recommendations on the Infinity Basslink installation manual. It's a Scosche KPSA-13 ($17) from Walmart, as well as the battery terminal ($8) Now I need reassurance and some guidance.

Who can help?

I know 727kid is a guru as well as 2003STS(formerly 1997etc), but anyone with similar experience please chime in!

Summary of what I need help with: need to affix the sub to the car, run the power cable through the firewall (hopefully you can point me or show me an opening 1998 ETC).

Other questions:
how do I avoid the dreaded battery draining issue?
Will the speaker level input of the BOSE 6x9s be different than that of a regular 4 ohm speaker?

Thanks fellas!

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
have an orientation today at best buy in 20 mins
when i get back i will answer all of this np

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
np thanks anyway. I found the plugged hole through the firewall--intact. Very nice they put this in. I ran the battery wire through. I tapped into the - + of the rear speakers for the universal input on the Basslink.

I used industrial strength velcro on the feet of the Basslink, and it attached to the carpet in the trunk. I used the fuel door release motor attachment screw as a ground.

It worked. Very clean bass, and waaaay too much of it! It makes my car rattle at loud volumes so I ended up tweaking it to 1/3 gain on the remote which is by the hushpanel.

I'll take pictures of the setup if anyone is interested. Very satisfied with my installation as well as with the end result.

PS I returned the battery terminal thing. I was able to place the power cable as you would a ground, on the positive terminal of the battery. Additionally I had some insulating tube that I was able to put use to to protect the power cable from the heat in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well. It happened. This morning I clicked the key FOB, and the car would not respond. I used my manual key. No power--not even enough to get any lights on the dash--the DREADED dead battery!!!

So apparently the "auto on" does not work very well with these BOSE systems because they may remain active and trick the amp into thinking they're on so it drains and drains overnight. Funny thing is I've had this thing installed for weeks... and it barely died today. I had my battery tested (Duralast Gold--Autozone) and they said it tested low on juice, but good. The test machine said "may have an power-down drain" or something like that.

So I'm thinking of getting a toggle-switch to power that on.. what do u think? Is there some kind of switch that automatically bridges when the Retained accessory power is on? or is that too complex?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The remote wire is non responsive when u connect the inputs to the speaker-level output (the device turns on when it feels power to the speakers--problem is BOSE sometimes apparently has some power off and on--and this is what kept my Basslink on overnight--until the battery was dead that morning).

So what I ended up doing is I got a 30 Amp Automotive Relay between the Basslink and the battery. Then I connected the other power source, to the radio antenna power (which only comes on when the radio is on--Genial!).

So it kicks on when the antenna goes up and kicks off wenever it goes down. Problem solved!

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
yup
i was going to say, tie it into the amp fuse or the antenna fuse to kill power when the cars not on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts