Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my 5LED bulbs for the Parking/Triangle Lights & Sidemarkers today.
I just went to install them, but the damn bulb wont go into the hole in the triangle light.
Has anyone else encountered this problem? How did u fix it?

can i cut off some of the pieces off the ends of the bulb?

illustration below...
the blue/turquoise thing is the bulb, the black circle is the hole it has to go in, & the grey triangle is the parking light fixture..

thanks

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats a last resort, i'm trying to make the ones i already have work...

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
Don't give in and get the crappy 4-LED ones! Stay strong and shave plastic!

·
Registered
2003 1SC Diamond White CTS
3,281 Posts
Did you get the 5 LED "matrix" style bulbs?
I used those and I had to kind of twist and push them in at an angle to get them through the hole.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
Angle of light is not as wide. There are mirrors in the housing for a reason.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
The 5-LED bulbs from autolumination or superbrightleds are 11mm wide, yours look alot wider. You can still get them to fit, but it will be alot more difficult because of those protruding LED nodes.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that I see what they look like I can see why they arent fitting... Mine are 5-LED also but they sort of wrap around the forward firing LED, they dont stick out like those do.
uhh steve, these r the ones that i showed u and asked if theyd work before i bought them...:alchi::alchi:

i got them "hooked" onto the hole for now... gotta get in there and cut 2mrw or something... xocomaox recommended a x-acto knife..
since i cant manage to get a drill in there to make the hole bigger, i'm gonna have to do it by hand...

so i cant cut the "nodes" / "spokes" of the LED bulb?

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
uhh steve, these r the ones that i showed u and asked if theyd work before i bought them...:alchi::alchi:

i got them "hooked" onto the hole for now... gotta get in there and cut
lol, all i looked at was that they were size 194, didnt go into the detail of seeing how they were shaped and what not... Compare mine to yours...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=280114888155

See how the 4 LEDs wrap around the center one on mine... Yours stick out on the sides :(

Be careful cutting... You dont wanna make it so the bulb harness dosent sit in the housing properly...

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^ thats wat i'm worried about, but shawns telling me it wont be a problem, i'd rather not cut, but i dont think it'll be too bad.. worst comes to worst i can wedge something in there to hold it in place snuggly..

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
Here's what I've been doing all afternoon.....

The end result? Back to HALOGENS!!! :bighead:

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
Whoa.. Did you have to pull the front bumper for the 194 bulbs? I thought you didn't have too...?

Edit: Nevermind.. Looks like you're changin your low beams :D

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
Bulb burnt out. Getting warranty replacement, but have to ship back the bad one first. I would rather have them match then have one HID on and the other off.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
okay, so currently, the bulbs are "in" the designated area.. well... they're hooked on by two of the nodes.
i was thinking of just going in there & making the hole bigger..but i got an email back from the seller.

My Email To The Seller said:
hi mike, i was trying to instal these this afternoon and had a tremendously hard time.
To cut to the chase, they are too big for the hole they are supposed to go in.
I am a member of a forum & other people have already done this installation, with no problem.
Can i cut a small piece off of one/all of the spokes to make it fit into the hole in the light housing? will that effect the lights?

i think you may have sent me the wrong ones, but i would rather avoid the hassles of shipping them back to u and waiting for the new ones...

anyway i can modify these to make them fit in the housing without damaging the bulbs?

thanks,
mike
Seller's Reply Which I Received This Morning said:
Hi, Mike please don't damage the bulb, the 5 led have a wide diameter, I think you need the 6 led one, please take a look at following link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=190135024939&rd=1
this one is very bright and have small diameter on led, please see the picture, please contact me if you have more questions, you can contact my cell (***)-***-****
IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE PLEASE SHIP BACK TO US WITH THIS EMAIL
I bought 4 of these bulbs/LEDs from him, 2 for the sidemarkers & 2 for the parking lights.

Should i just exchange all 4? (and have to pay shipping charges)

Will the current ones i have work in my sidemarkers?
If I modify the hole for the parking lights, should i have any problems?

what should i do? thanks

1 - 20 of 39 Posts