Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive only had my Caddy about 2 months, however today I stopped at a convience store but before i got all the way in the parking lot it DIED!!! I didnt try to start it back up for about 5 mins, while I was letting it get its head back on straight i popped the hood and checked the oil and all other major fluids. Two days before I was outside doing my weekly detailing and I just happened to notice that in the DIC it said check oil level, immediately i popped the hood and pulled the oil dipstick. After i wiped it off and reinserted it I pulled it back out to check it and the oil wasnt even hitting the stick. I dont think anything is wrong with it i think the mechanics at the dealership are just some half-assing backyard mechanics, but I dont want to take any chances so any and all info/suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
I don't know how the Northstar works as for as protecting itself but in my honda if the oil is really low the car will cut off. This might be the case if the oil wasn't hitting the stick then you were really low. I'm still learning about this car myself. To be on the safe side check the oil when ever you fill up.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
The oil level had nothing to do with it dieing. The CHECH OIL LEVEL message comes on at 2 qts. low, just about the level that it drops off the dipstick. You still had 5 1/2 qts. in the sump. Nothing to worry about. Northstars are known to use oil. That is not a problem either. Go to the top left of this page, click on TECHNICAL ARCHIVES and read up on oil consumption as well as full throttle acceleration.

You should list the year in your profile so we know what year car we are talking about. 2000 & some 2001's had bad crank shaft position sensors and will cause it to die for no reason.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Ranger said:
The oil level had nothing to do with it dieing. The CHECH OIL LEVEL message comes on at 2 qts. low, just about the level that it drops off the dipstick. You still had 5 1/2 qts. in the sump. Nothing to worry about. Northstars are known to use oil. That is not a problem either. Go to the top left of this page, click on TECHNICAL ARCHIVES and read up on oil consumption as well as full throttle acceleration.

You should list the year in your profile so we know what year car we are talking about. 2000 & some 2001's had bad crank shaft position sensors and will cause it to die for no reason.
G Ranger 5 1/2 qts. I didn't know that, I learn something everyday on this site. Any insight on the post I left earlier ( service engine light)

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
Remember, the Northstar holds 7 1/2 qts so 2 qts. low is no big deal. The only reason for 7 1/2 is that it was built a a high performance engine and 7 1/2 qts. guarantees that the pump will not suck air with a 1g lateral force on it at WOT. So, if the check oil level message is on, don't take a clover leaf on ramp at WOT. Otherwise, it'll be fine even at 4, probably even 3 qts.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I agree with everyone, the stick only measures a small amount of oil on the top. If the low oil message is not on you are okay, but top it off.
Northstars are notorious for using a bit of oil. There is an unacceptable limit at which action will need to be taken.

As for the stalling, check the codes, the crank position sensors have been redesigned a few times and the latest ones seem to be reliable. Some codes are good indicators of faulty crank sensors.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uuuuuuuuuh............... I dont know what to say except frickin genius!!!!!! Cadillac has got their shit together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts