Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a '97 STS and the cigarette lighters have not worked since she bought it. The fuses for both the front and the rears are blown and it pops new ones as soon as they are installed. I really would like to repair this for her but I am at a loss as to what to look for. Any clues or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Dan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sean McDonald said:
Do they pop as soon as they are put in? Or do they pop when the lighter is used?
Sean,
The fuses pop as soon as they make contact. The lighters are not depressed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
airbalancer said:
You let her smoke in the car :crying:
NOBODY smokes in the STS. I just want everything to be functional. It seems to me that because there are two fuses, that means two circuits. If both are shorted, it may indicate the location of the short (to someone that knows Cadi electrics). The car is perfect, other than this.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would use a multimeter and Ohm out the cigarette lighters and the fuse locations. This is a lot cheaper than blowing lots of fuses.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I am having the same problem in my 93 STS...I dont smoke but do need the radar.. :coolgleam any ideas?

·
Registered
44 Posts
first and easiest check. Pull all the lighters out of their sockets and see if the problem goes away. If so - bad lighters. If not, more troubleshooting lies ahead but you have eliminated one possibilty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have replaced all 3 lighters with some from my old deville that are known to be good. The problem remains. It seems to me that the chances of all 6 lighters having dead shorts is highly unlikely. I think that the big clue here is that there are 2 separate circuits and they are both shorted. If someone knows where in the car that those 2 circuits share a common power source and how to access that area, I will explore that possibility.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
panhead dan