Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1988 cadillac brougham d'elegance
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys/gals...

I got a problem and need help! I bought a 88 brougham d'elegance, and so far it's turning out to be more work than I expected. Vinyl top with moonroof, only problem is it has a leak. The headliner was starting to sag as well.

I had a vw with a leak as well before and totally ripped it apart and put it back together while fixing the leak. I'm thinking, no problem, probably the sunroof drains are plugged. WRONG...well, maybe not wrong, but in order to check it out, I would have to open the sunroof up to take a look. Press the open close button, nothing. OK, wiring/fuse/relay problem? Get an electrician to check it out and everything has power. Why isn't it opening? NO MOTOR/actuator. OK, let the moonroof be for now then until my new motor comes.

Let me work on the headliner. I take out the headliner to re-upholster so that is ok. Unfortunately, looking at the sunroof without the headliner, I see passenger side has water damage/rust on it. GREAT. I do see that one of the front passenger sunroof drain line is too long so it's crimped. Undo it from the sunroof, cut it, and put it back on, so now it's not crimped anymore.
I'm assuming because it was crimped, the water couldn't go down the A pillar line, hence why the water just sat there and damaged the sunroof frame (rust).

While headliner is down, decide to blow out the lines, directly into the line. Blow out the fronts, OK. Blow out the back, ok.

Decide to feed a line inside the rear drain hoses to clear...PROBLEM. As i'm feeding a line inside the drain hose, I can hear movement in the trunk. I open the drunk and I see my line curling up inside the trunk. My rear passenger sunroof drain hose line isn't connected to anything, but just lose and draining in the trunk.

This could explain why my carpet could be wet.

The rear driver side drain hose is just lose. I tried pouring water on the sunroof to see if it would drain, and driver side sunroof shade, track has water just pouring out into the rear driver side compartment.

I need help with two things...

1. does anyone know where the rear sunroof drain hoses go too, and how I can connect them back to drain properly (and not into the trunk)?

2.) I don't drive the car often, and never in the rain (being in Vancouver..it rains too much), since I know I have a sunroof problem. My carpet is still damp though after i drive it...AC usually on. All of the carpet is damp/wet. Does anyone what that problem would be...ac unit draining back into the car? I ripped up the carpet in the rear and underneath it is dry, on top though is wet/damp .this goes for all of the inside.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
The rear drain tube runs down the back of the C-pillar and around the rear wheel well, draining out in front of the wheel. My service manual isn't explicit as to where the drainage tube actually routs, but there should be a small hole in the rear of the trunk, where the hose is routed into the quarter panel. The manual does, however, mention that the rear hoses can be accessed by removing the pressure relief valve, located in the body-lock pillar of each door.

If the A/C were draining back into the car, the passenger front carpet would be wet. If that is the case, the A/C has a condensation drain that sometimes gets clogged; the drain can be accessed from underneath the car usually unplugged with a piece of wire. Another cause for a damp passenger side carpet would be a leaking seal where the heater core/air box mounts to fire wall; this happened on my '89, and I just had to put some silicone rubber on seam and it hasn't leaked in a few years.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts