Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what's going on,but we spent the last few hours riding around running errands. Come outside about dark and find the interior lights are on on the back door,both sides and we can't figure out how they came on or how to turn them off. They go off when the door is opened or when I turn the other main interior lights on,but when the door closes or I cut the main interior lights off they come back on and won't go off. Don't know how they came on or how to turn them off:crying2: I have a 92 cadillac deville.

Thanks,
Beverly

·
Registered
deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ranger,

Yea thats what it seems like. We open the door they go off, I pull the main interior light switch they go off, I close the door,they come on,I turn the switch off,they come on.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,559 Posts
Electronics is not my strong point. It's all PFM to me, so I'm not sure what would make them operate in reverse. Bad ground possibly? Obviously it has to be something common to both doors.

·
Registered
deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We can't figure it out, maybe it's possessed lol. My husband pulled the battery cable till we can take it to the mechanic in a couple of days.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,559 Posts
In that case perhaps you should be looking for an exorcist. A FSM with a wiring schematic would be a BIG help in diagnosing this, but as always, pull the DTC's first. There may be a clue there.

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
Did you inspect the swtich on the inside of the door jam between the door and the car. Open the door and push the switch in. Your lights should turn off . Since both of your doors are doing this you might need a helper to push the other switch or you could tape it in the off possition. Another thing is to pull out the light bezels by sticking a screw driver on the top part and prying the plastic part out and inspect the wiring it should be coded orange and white. White being negitive. The could be switched some how idk. But most likely I think your door jams switches are bad . On how to change them let's hope someone else can chime in on this

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
If a BODY or CSTY fuse blows, the dome lights will stay on or work opposite of before. So, inspect the fuses. Usually a yellow 20 amp that blows. Most common causes are dimes, pennys, tin foil under a lighter or using a cell phone charger in a lighter socket thats too loose. The reason is feed back thru another circuit, rather common in GM cars. By checking the fuse, I mean remove each yellow fuse and confirm its good or not or the best way is with a $10.00 test light touched to both sides of each fuse till it does not light up. If it does not light up then usually that fuse is blown.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts