Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Unfriend Coal" is currently trying to make a world record attempt at the most comments on a facebook message in 24 hours. The idea is that with enough people, we may be able to persuade at least one corporate giant to go green. maybe if we can get one to follow the green path, more might follow. Comments will be displayed on a large LCD display at Facebooks headquarters. They are even going to give away shirts to some commentors. So have fun commenting and being a part of a world record attempt that has a good chance of actually causing something good to happen in the world.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/unfri...ttempt-and-share-50000-needed/138626456210552

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
I like coal. We need to use it more.

Coal is abundant, can be used cleanly and provides jobs.

Maybe whoever started this stupid group should go wade around off the coast of Japan for a couple of days...

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,028 Posts
If enough people press 'Like' on carbon offsets, the problem will simply disappear!

·
Registered
2013 ATS Premium 3.6, 1989 Allanté
4,513 Posts
im going to start a facebook group soon called give me some money. if enough people like it or follow or repost or whatever, maybe someone will give me some money

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
wtf? did the forum software post this thread 12 days late?...

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
It's smarter than we give it credit for....given the stupidity of this thread...

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd love to debate the stupidity of using pollution prone non-renewables with you, but I have better things to do. It doesn't matter anyway right? If we destroy our planet we have another one on stand-by right?... :doh:

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,764 Posts
Eight technically. Well, no... make that seven. They demoted Pluto. :lol:

(I kid, I kid.)

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
I'd love to debate the stupidity of using pollution prone non-renewables with you, but I have better things to do. It doesn't matter anyway right? If we destroy our planet we have another one on stand-by right?... :doh:
Really? Coal doesn't have to be pollutive -- emissions can be captured -- it's been done for quite a while.

I never understood the whole "non-renewable" thing. What difference does it make if an energy source is non-renewable, when people like you don't ever want to use any of them in the first place...?

As to "the planet" -- one gimpy volcano in Iceland can completely cloud Europe in ash, and put god only knows how much carbon into the atmosphere. (Maybe enough for Al Gore to fly his G5 around the world nonstop for the rest of his life, while spouting his BS.) So much so, that within a week or so, it made it all the way back around to the U.S. Our ability to impact the planet is dwarfed by the planet's ability to impact itself.

Short of setting off every nuclear warhead on the planet at one time, the idea of our destroying it gives us a little more credit than we're due. I'm not saying that we shouldn't do what we can to reduce pollution where possible, as the impact locally can be extreme. But all the ecoleft wants to do is control what we are able to do, and hamper our way of life.

And GOOD LUCK getting any of these emerging countries to stop polluting on a far worse scale that we could dream. They're not going to throttle their economies "for the planet"...

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
I like coal. We need to use it more.

Coal is abundant, can be used cleanly and provides jobs.

Maybe whoever started this stupid group should go wade around off the coast of Japan for a couple of days...
I like coal too, Hue!

"Green" is just a money grab for folks much richer than you and I will ever be.

F

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
"Unfriend Coal" is currently trying to make a world record attempt at the most comments on a facebook message in 24 hours. The idea is that with enough people, we may be able to persuade at least one corporate giant to go green. maybe if we can get one to follow the green path, more might follow. Comments will be displayed on a large LCD display at Facebooks headquarters. They are even going to give away shirts to some commentors. So have fun commenting and being a part of a world record attempt that has a good chance of actually causing something good to happen in the world.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/unfri...ttempt-and-share-50000-needed/138626456210552
not EVER happening.

F

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really? Coal doesn't have to be pollutive -- emissions can be captured -- it's been done for quite a while.
I know it has. Still you're digging up carbon, sulfer, and nitrogen from the ground and turning it all into gasses to be spewed into the air. If you at least grow algae and burn the oil it produces, the carbon you're putting into the air actually came out of the air in the first place! Algae, from seed to harvest is around 2 days. Just grow, dehydrate, run it through a screw press and voalah! Diesel fuel. What's stopping them right now? There are millions of different species of algae. They are mostly trying to research which will give them the best yield, so companies can focus on just growing that specific species of algae.

I never understood the whole "non-renewable" thing. What difference does it make if an energy source is non-renewable, when people like you don't ever want to use any of them in the first place...?
The difference comes when it is finally depleted and the economy is thrown into a depression.... Kinda like what's happening now with gas and oil (except right now that's just the oil companies exercising their monopoly on us).

Ever heard of exponential growth?... It means that every 7 years we see our consumption double. It means that each successive year, just to meet the demands for the year, it will take the production equivalent of all of the previous years in human history combined but all compressed into that one year. How long will it be till we reach a limit? Where we simply can not consume any more because it has all been consumed... it may not be in our lifetimes, but it doesn't take a genius to know that it will happen, since this is a finite world.

As to "the planet" -- one gimpy volcano in Iceland can completely cloud Europe in ash, and put god only knows how much carbon into the atmosphere. (Maybe enough for Al Gore to fly his G5 around the world nonstop for the rest of his life, while spouting his BS.) So much so, that within a week or so, it made it all the way back around to the U.S. Our ability to impact the planet is dwarfed by the planet's ability to impact itself.
Very true... Actually humans dont even produce 1/3 of the green house gasses. It's the volcanoes producing most of it... What's interesting is that the huge rise in CO2 is not so much related to our own emmissions of that gas, but rather the amount of deforestation taking place in the world. If you've seen the graph, CO2 levels rise quite a bit every winter and fall every summer. You can probably guess why. Usually the forests are able to handle it and balance it out, but apparently not if they are burnt/chopped down to make way for corn and suburbs. We are not really seeing an increase in volcanic activity so much as a lowering of the ecosystems ability to cope with the volcanic activity, plus our emmissions dont help either.

Short of setting off every nuclear warhead on the planet at one time, the idea of our destroying it gives us a little more credit than we're due. I'm not saying that we shouldn't do what we can to reduce pollution where possible, as the impact locally can be extreme. But all the ecoleft wants to do is control what we are able to do, and hamper our way of life.
True... But that's just because we are in a monetary system. I support self sustainability. I do not support the monetary based economy. Money was a nice tool for trade for a very long time; however, over that long period of time, it has become skewed, exploitable and very corruptable, not to mention a tool for a form of slavery we often call "debt" (which has actually been used to take over countries). It is just a largely flawed system. But I wont go into that any further... I believe self sustainability is key for the survival of the human race on this planet. We have finite resources, so just using all of them now with no reguard for the future is silly.

And GOOD LUCK getting any of these emerging countries to stop polluting on a far worse scale that we could dream. They're not going to throttle their economies "for the planet"...
True but monetary economies are very flawed, and especially in that way. It incentivises the cutting of corners in every aspect of life, safety, health, the environment, you name it.... Personally I would like to see a country try out the Resource Based Economy that the Zeitgeist Movement proposes... But that's only because that's the best Idea that I've heard of so far. It may not be perfect, but it would be a lot better than what we have now.... I'm not biased for it though, if there was a better idea I would definitely switch my views.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
not EVER happening.

F

Oh, but remember, we're in a flawed, monetary based (thank god) economy....

When they dig up Che, and the revolution comes, things will be different...

·
Registered
2013 ATS Premium 3.6, 1989 Allanté
4,513 Posts
Question: What's stopping them right now? Answer: There are millions of different species of algae. They are mostly trying to research which will give them the best yield, so companies can focus on just growing that specific species of algae.

The difference comes when it is finally depleted and the economy is thrown into a depression.... Kinda like what's happening now with gas and oil (except right now that's just the oil companies exercising their monopoly on us).
Do "green" proponents really think that its just going to dry up suddenly? That one morning we're going to wake up and hear the oil companies saying "sorry guys we ran out, better find something else to use". Oil is the cash cow right now, but these multi billion dollar corporations arent just going to pack up and go home when oil runs out. theyll have a backup plan ready, and they'll probably end up controlling whatever form of "alternative energy" the world moves to next. Im also pretty sure we'll stop being dependent on oil before the world runs out.

Ever heard of exponential growth?... It means that every 7 years we see our consumption double. It means that each successive year, just to meet the demands for the year, it will take the production equivalent of all of the previous years in human history combined but all compressed into that one year.
Ok, so in 2010 we used as much fuel as in 2009+2008+07+06+05+04+03+02+01+00+99+98+97 etc etc etc. :histeric:Yea right.

True... But that's just because we are in a monetary system. I support self sustainability. I do not support the monetary based economy. Money was a nice tool for trade for a very long time; however, over that long period of time, it has become skewed, exploitable and very corruptable, not to mention a tool for a form of slavery we often call "debt" (which has actually been used to take over countries). It is just a largely flawed system. But I wont go into that any further... I believe self sustainability is key for the survival of the human race on this planet. We have finite resources, so just using all of them now with no reguard for the future is silly.

True but monetary economies are very flawed, and especially in that way. It incentivises the cutting of corners in every aspect of life, safety, health, the environment, you name it.... Personally I would like to see a country try out the Resource Based Economy that the Zeitgeist Movement proposes... But that's only because that's the best Idea that I've heard of so far. It may not be perfect, but it would be a lot better than what we have now.... I'm not biased for it though, if there was a better idea I would definitely switch my views.
We're humans. Humans have emotions wants aspirations etc etc. Its impossible to change that. Even if we went back to a non-monetary system, we'd eventually end up in a monetary system again. We're not caveman or a tribe of africans.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
He doesn't care. You might as well be Charlie Brown's teacher.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,764 Posts
Yo yo yo yo... why we gotta be a tribe of Africans brah?!

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
I am all for coal but going green just will cost to much in the end leave things they way they do
the only part about going green i would ever want to see
are those stores that print your reciptes so long
you go into Micro Center buy 1 item and your recipte is as long as your elbow to your wrist thats messed up

go to walmart buy a qt of oil get a recipte that wastes the same amount of paper
i think stores should have the ability to offer you email reciptes
that would help

but to totaly go green you won't be able to save the world before we all die
its not going to do anything
only way to do anything would be to start fresh with a bubble built over your town like in the movies lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts