Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1996 Seville STS, the parking/emergency brake releases when I put the car in Reverse. The shop put a new alternator in and now I have to manually release the parking/emergency brake with that curvy metal piece up in there.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? I need to fix it myself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Most likely a vacuum leak (the release is vacuum operated). Another culprit might be corrosion on the mechanism or along the cable (thus a big coincidence)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting. In that case, I'll be taking it to the shop. :) Thanks.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If it happened right afterwards they may have knocked the vacuum line off of the vacuum reservoir or some other line.
Check to see if the HVAC air distribution works properly too.
If it doesn't take it back to the place that installed the alternator and tell them something is wrong.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it happened right afterwards they may have knocked the vacuum line off of the vacuum reservoir or some other line.
You were right. They knocked the vacuum line off. It's fixed now. The other line on the left under the floor has rust, so the brake has to be tapped a tad as well. Geeting a quote on that.

Thanks.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It happens. As long as they stand behind their work it's all good.
Glad they got you going.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Now that we discussed about vacuum, my break pedal does not release (fully) once in a blue moon (maybe once every 2-3 months). I always suspected I might have a vacuum leak. Few weeks ago when I changed the FPR I checked with my finger to see how strong is the vacuum (on the FPS little hose). Well it was just enough to hold the line on the tip of my finger (if I was not moving the finger). Last week I changed my cousins fuel pump on his ‘02 Grand Prix and while investigating the issue I also checked the FPR on his car. That’s when I noticed that his vacuum is about twice as strong as in my car. Is that normal? I did had last winter for a day my vacuum line disconnected from the vacuum tank to test if a deliberate vacuum leak will affect in any way the car, well NO everything worked fine (climate control actuators, parking break, idle no change). Why I did that, well in 4 years since I got the car I never figure why my idle is not Cadillac like (is more like Pontiac like – slightly, slightly shaky). Maybe is just in my head but is noticeable when engine is hot (say after a 5-7 miles on HWY doing ~75- 80 MPH then stopping to the first traffic light after the exit) - perfect idle when cold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts