Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get a DVD/CD/mp3 player put in in place of my factory radio...its the pioneer avh p6500...they said they can't take out the factory radio because all the controlls and stuff goes through there... Is there anything to do? i don't want the factory radio in there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
panteracfh said:
I went to get a DVD/CD/mp3 player put in in place of my factory radio...its the pioneer avh p6500...they said they can't take out the factory radio because all the controlls and stuff goes through there... Is there anything to do? i don't want the factory radio in there...
Well its a f'ed up situation you got on your hands.
Around 2000 GM thought it would be a good idea to have the security system and airbag control run through the headunit thus making it a pain in the ass to upgrade.
What you have to do is acually wire the OEM headunit in the trunk and put the aftermarket in there. You need to buy a wiring adaptor that gives you enough wire to go from the new headunit to anywher in the car to put your old one. You are also going to need a cheap 3' speaker. That headunit sends a signal the your current speakers when the door is open etc...
I did this about 2 months ago to a friends car.
Good luck, it will be very time consuming
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok...first thanks for the reply...
so it can be done? if i did it this way...what i understood is that i would run the factory head unit in the trunk, and put the pioneer tv where the factory unit was...then i would need to have a speaker connected to the factory unit to send its sound through...if it was done this way...would i be able to put it back together (back to stock) without any problems if i wanted to down the road? and i am getting this done through a shop...i am good friends with them, so i know they aren't pulling shit on me... how expensive would this be? They said that it shouldn't be done. I want to call cadilac on this and see what they can do if anything...but right now i am stuck with this dvd setup that i got for a good price 1200$, but its just wasted money as of now...i really want it in my car...if you could give me some specifics i could bring to the people at the shop to show them...maybe that would help...thanks for your help man
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
panteracfh said:
ok...first thanks for the reply...
so it can be done? if i did it this way...what i understood is that i would run the factory head unit in the trunk, and put the pioneer tv where the factory unit was...then i would need to have a speaker connected to the factory unit to send its sound through...if it was done this way...would i be able to put it back together (back to stock) without any problems if i wanted to down the road? and i am getting this done through a shop...i am good friends with them, so i know they aren't pulling shit on me... how expensive would this be? They said that it shouldn't be done. I want to call cadilac on this and see what they can do if anything...but right now i am stuck with this dvd setup that i got for a good price 1200$, but its just wasted money as of now...i really want it in my car...if you could give me some specifics i could bring to the people at the shop to show them...maybe that would help...thanks for your help man
Yes this can be done i did it to a 00 Monte carlo about a month or two ago. It took a shit load of time and patience, but we did it and now it sounds GREAT. They sell wiring adaptors for GM's that are like this mainly 00 and newer. It's about a $60 or more wiring harness i think. We build a box for the head unit in the trunk. There are specific directions on how to remove the OEM unit and FOLLOW them to the T b/c you can run the risk of deploying the air bags if you do it wrong. If you need info on this i'll talk to my buddy where he bought the harness.
good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks man...what im gonna do is put it in under the radio...and run the sound through an FM station and have the bass directly connected to the unit through an RCA... The only way around doing it this way was to relocate the Stock head unit...change out the two front speakers... rewire those to the trunk with the head unint...bypass the factory amp (because that cannot be taken out either) and this wouldn't work for sure either...plus it would cost an extra like 2G's...not the parts as much as the labor...it would be really time consuming...i might do this later on...but not right now...thanks for your help man...
i was talking to the guy there about shit like this...and i was asking about the new BMW 745 series...he said he wouldn't touch it...and to do anything would run at least 30k!!!! that car has like 20 computers in it and already has so many problems out of the factory...
well, anyway, i just found that interesting...
thanks for your help... i'll probly be back for some other shit...:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
panteracfh said:
thanks man...what im gonna do is put it in under the radio...and run the sound through an FM station and have the bass directly connected to the unit through an RCA... The only way around doing it this way was to relocate the Stock head unit...change out the two front speakers... rewire those to the trunk with the head unint...bypass the factory amp (because that cannot be taken out either) and this wouldn't work for sure either...plus it would cost an extra like 2G's...not the parts as much as the labor...it would be really time consuming...i might do this later on...but not right now...thanks for your help man...
i was talking to the guy there about shit like this...and i was asking about the new BMW 745 series...he said he wouldn't touch it...and to do anything would run at least 30k!!!! that car has like 20 computers in it and already has so many problems out of the factory...
well, anyway, i just found that interesting...
thanks for your help... i'll probly be back for some other shit...:)
Why don't you do the install yourself. If you have ever put in a stereo before this is NOT a thing to worry about it. YES it is more involved but the instructions tell you how to put in the wiring harness and you feed the wires from the front of the car to the trunk and put the stock unit there. Take out all of your seakers/amps/etc... leave the wiring. Go to radioshack and pick up 16 g wire and run that from the doors to your head unit and the back of the car to your headunit and now the rest is a NORMAL system.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top