Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
escalade 04
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions, I wanted to know, the 02 sensors, do you need to have them. I had a mechanic tell me i need them, and then i had a parts department tell me i dont need them, that nothing is gonig to happen to the truck without them, the computer says the truck needs (2) 02 sensors, band i know the engine light will stay on if there not fixed. So, do i need them to make the truck actually run correct without damage?

Also, I had someone fix my air condition that was not working, but now, when i cut off my truck, i hear a hissing noise by the ac lines over to the passenger side. Sounds like something leaking, then it goes away after about 10 seconds.

This guy fixed all my electrical problems, great mechanic.

The other day, my truck gave me the error on the control center that the engine was over heated. He told me that my fan clutch was bad, he said it was bad because when you spin the fan with your hand, it goes round and round many times. He said the fan is not cooling the engine. He replaced it, and now, the fan spins about 1 full turn when u turn it by hand then it stops. Can this cause the engine to over heat? To me, seems like the engine is getting way to hot still. It gets hot as soon as you turn on the car pretty much.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Also, i found out why my truck was sitting high in the front. These guys that had my truck in the body shop, put on regular shocks in the front, and then put the sensors in a spot i would not have seen them when i picked up the truck. There are regular shocks in the front, my questions is, when i replace them, are there after market shocks that i can use to plug the sensors into or i need to get the stock shocks from cadillac?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Man, I don't know the backstory behind your Escalade but based on the rebuild pictures you've posted I assume it was salvaged by insurance? All these issues you're experiencing are the very reason I avoid accident cars like the plague.

O2 sensors are not expensive, why risk any problems and live with a Check Engine light on all the time? The engine computer expects a response from these devices, I would not run without them. Not to mention you will regret it one day if you move to a state where emissions testing is required OR if Florida decides to re-instate emissions testing.

I am curious to find out what the mechanic said your problem with the air conditioning was? Was it the auxiliary A/C belt after all?

The hissing from the A/C lines after shut off is completely normal.

·
Registered
2003 Diamond White ESV
288 Posts
You don't "need" the rear ones (there are 4) The rears are bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2, The fronts are bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1. You can buy 02 simms if you don't want to replace the sensors or have someone with tuning software tune them out. Either will turn your engine light off.Yes, a worn out fan clutch will cause over heating. It's supposed to get hot right away, it's an engine. As long as it stays under 220 or so your good.

·
Registered
04 ESV
209 Posts
When the oxygen sensor fails, the computer can no longer sense the air/fuel ratio, so it ends up guessing. Your truck will perform poorly and uses more fuel than it needs to. Will it run...yes...but not that great.

Whats the temp gage reading? At what point does the fan kick in? Have you replaced the thermostat or thought about doing it?

·
Registered
escalade 04
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, I don't know the backstory behind your Escalade but based on the rebuild pictures you've posted I assume it was salvaged by insurance? All these issues you're experiencing are the very reason I avoid accident cars like the plague.

O2 sensors are not expensive, why risk any problems and live with a Check Engine light on all the time? The engine computer expects a response from these devices, I would not run without them. Not to mention you will regret it one day if you move to a state where emissions testing is required OR if Florida decides to re-instate emissions testing.

I am curious to find out what the mechanic said your problem with the air conditioning was? Was it the auxiliary A/C belt after all?

The hissing from the A/C lines after shut off is completely normal.
I appreciate your comments, so do i need to have these 02 sensors for sure or not? What will happen without them? They are 200 bucks total. .He never told me what was wrong with the ac, but actually now that i have been driving it, it doesnt get cool as it should, although it is getting cold. For some reason, the rear air, you know the controls that are up near the ceailing, that air blows out very cold, but from the dash and under neath, ,it doesnt get that cold. Not to happy. Before, it was total heat. ive never hard that hissing noise and this is my second escalade. Let me ask you, under the hood, all the plastic covering is missing from the accident, so with all the plastic covering that goes over everything, would this cause my hood to seem very hot still? Does the plastic covering keep some of the heat in?

·
Registered
escalade 04
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't "need" the rear ones (there are 4) The rears are bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2, The fronts are bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1. You can buy 02 simms if you don't want to replace the sensors or have someone with tuning software tune them out. Either will turn your engine light off.Yes, a worn out fan clutch will cause over heating. It's supposed to get hot right away, it's an engine. As long as it stays under 220 or so your good.
Ok, thanks, i will keep that in mind, and the temp is under 220. Now, my speedometer does not work. He hooked up his computer while we were driving, and showed me on the computer how the computer was reading the speed, it kept going up, but the speedometer does not work. He told me i need a new one, and my question is do i need a new one, or is the sensor bad that connects to the transmission? Im guessing i may need a new one because if the sensor was bad wouldnt the computer not read the MPH?

·
Registered
escalade 04
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the oxygen sensor fails, the computer can no longer sense the air/fuel ratio, so it ends up guessing. Your truck will perform poorly and uses more fuel than it needs to. Will it run...yes...but not that great.

Whats the temp gage reading? At what point does the fan kick in? Have you replaced the thermostat or thought about doing it?
i asked him about replacing the thermostat, he told me i dont need to. SO, i dont know, how will i know if i need a new one? I drove the car for hours yesterday, and no over heat error.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
i asked him about replacing the thermostat, he told me i dont need to. SO, i dont know, how will i know if i need a new one? I drove the car for hours yesterday, and no over heat error.

If you drove for HOURS yesterday...in June...in Florida, and there was no overheat, you DO NOT need a thermostat.

You "DO" need the 02 sensors.
Without them, the engine will be running very rich and burning more fuel than it should and you will eventually destroy the catalytic converters.
That will be much more expensive then a couple of 02 sensors.

Texas Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts