Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2007 Escalade 75,000 that I had taken to a reputable local repair shop to get my universal joint replaced due to a squeak. When I had taken it in that morning I got a call that it would be done in a few hours. To make a long story short, I didn't get it back till late the next day. It seemed strange to take that long and guy seemed a little off when I was talking to him. I got it home, drove it for a week and noticed oil dripping from the where the yoke meets the driveshaft by the transfer case and then I looked at my rear differential and it looked like it was new (pic below).

IMG_35111.jpg

I guess I want to ask the pros in the room if they think its unusual to have a 07 with 75k have a rear differential look like that. I have looked at a few from that year and all of them look rusted out. I am now wondering if something worse happened while they had it and other repairs were done which would tie in to the current leak I am having. I never really noticed the rear differential before as nothing ever had to be done in that area. I dont know alot about removing a whole rear axle to replace it but from what I see the axle comes in one full piece with the differential and I dont see any signs around the axle that bolts where removed to replace it. I have had the car since 20K miles while it was under factory warranty so if any factory repairs where done i would know. Any help would be appreciated.

As a side note I also notice at the leak the yoke that goes into the transfer case has a wear mark from the rubber shield that is part of the transfer case which doesn't seem to line up anymore. It looks like its off by a 1/4 inch now for some reason.. pic below.

IMG_35161.jpg

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2009 CTS-V and 2006 GTO
69 Posts
I def. would call and ask some question just to see what they say. Just curious what they charged you??? $200 ish???

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
Yeah that rear diff does look new, questions are definitely in order, is the vehicle off the ground in the pic? that may explain the 1/4 inch space at the transfer case

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
Wow! That rear diff definitely looks replaced. Not sure what in the world would or went wrong, for them to screw with that? Usually a half inch box wrench takes off the drive shaft.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Nah... Its like the hull of a boat, the old GM rust comes off over time to expose a new layer of paint. :food-snacking:

Looks like a new rear, no way 70K will look like that. On the front leak, usually if its leaking bad, you will see the oil sling on the plastic above the shaft. Strange, yours looks clean. Spray down that shaft with brake cleaner / carb cleaner and see if it is still wet or starts to sling. A bit on the rubber I would say is normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that rear diff does look new, questions are definitely in order, is the vehicle off the ground in the pic? that may explain the 1/4 inch space at the transfer case

No, vehicles not off the ground, crawled under to take a pic. Just seems strange... wondering if they might have driven it before hand and the u joint happen to sieze causing God knows what to happen. For all I know that may not even be my original driveshaft. I just dont understand what would cause that 1/4 inch spacing like that? Its clear where the wear has been on it.

Nah... Its like the hull of a boat, the old GM rust comes off over time to expose a new layer of paint. :food-snacking:

Looks like a new rear, no way 70K will look like that. On the front leak, usually if its leaking bad, you will see the oil sling on the plastic above the shaft. Strange, yours looks clean. Spray down that shaft with brake cleaner / carb cleaner and see if it is still wet or starts to sling. A bit on the rubber I would say is normal.
I may have cleaned in and around that plastic area... alot was dripping onto the garage floor so I tried to clean off as much as I could.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Wow, I would immediately contact the repair company and insist they tell you what happen, what was removed, what was replaced. Either way, they have to take care of the leak. Make sure you have them check all fluid levels for the front and rear. Cant trust them now..... And make sure you have in writing a complete warrantee on all the parts they replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts