Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking at a 2004 CTS auto. At exactly 20mph is makes a humming sound coming from the mid-rear - can not hear it below or above 20mph. Makes me uneasy but just wondered if anyone has heard of this problem with this car before. Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
Mine hummed since the day I bought it.. 20K miles later it still sounded the same. If its very loud that its something to worry about but a slight hum seemed normal to me.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is fairly loud and my wife said she felt a little vibration. Of course the radio covers it up but you can hear it every time you accelerate or decelerate through 20mph. It's loudest and sustained when you stay at 20mph exactly. Thank You

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read many positives about the CTS, but should this problem keep me away from this model all together?

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
Warman--how many miles does the car have on it? Any warranty left? Maybe you should get it checked out by a dealer before committing. :welcome5: to the forum.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
I have read many positives about the CTS, but should this problem keep me away from this model all together?
If its under warranty its nothing to worry about because if it goes it will get replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is from a Cadillac Dealer it has 21K miles and it is certified for 6yrs 100K miles. I know that it would be covered but I guess I am questioning why would a car with low mileage possibly need a major repair like that. rblimas said that these were well known for differential problems so It just doesn't sound good. Especially because it is for my wife, she doesn't want to hear that it may need a major repair. On the other hand she doesn't want to live with a noise from the rear if that is a normal noise (doesnt sound normal to me though after i heard it). She likes everything else about the car so I guess that is why I needed to get more info from people who know about these cars - so I can make a better decision on whether to even look at any more of this model or go onto something else. Thanks for the replies everyone! -Warren

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
Warren--as you know, any car purchase is a gamble. As it has plenty of warranty I wouldn't hesitate. You will love the CTS; it's a great car. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2013 ATS
1,059 Posts
I have that same sound, if left unchecked will i end up in a horrible death roll at 80 mph someday? What is the result of a failed diff?

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
I have that same sound, if left unchecked will i end up in a horrible death roll at 80 mph someday? What is the result of a failed diff?
I'm on my fifth - the second one locked up at about 50mph in heavy four-lane traffic. No fun - lucky to be able to avoid other cars & slide it off to roadside. The others, including the current one, have begun moaning within 5k or so & it gradually gets worse. I'm due for a new one again - car now has about 35k on it.

Then again, some folks apparently have no problems. Roll the dice...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts