Cadillac Owners Forum banner
4K views 52 replies 15 participants last post by  rand49er 
#1 ·
After 2 years worth of $15,000 mods and flawless operation, my V is DOA. I went to take the car out and all it does is turn over with absolutely no attempt to fire. WTF??? Any suggestions on where to start?? :banghead:

#9 ·
I have nothing to add to this thread except I continue to wonder how people convince themselves a Maggie is a good idea on these cars. I have yet to see one that doesn't have fuel problems due to the Magnavolt, so I guess I'd start there as others have already said.

#12 ·
You're the first I've seen. I don't want to turn this into a Maggie bashing thread, but after seeing WW go through 4 or 5 due to jackshafts, bearings or rotors, plus several other people with fried Magnavolts, blown fuses, whatever- there's no way I'd put one on my car. Been there and done that with major mods.

[/threadjack]

#14 ·
You're the first I've seen. I don't want to turn this into a Maggie bashing thread, but after seeing WW go through 4 or 5 due to jackshafts, bearings or rotors, plus several other people with fried Magnavolts, blown fuses, whatever- there's no way I'd put one on my car. Been there and done that with major mods.

[/threadjack]

Good thing you didn't put one on your car.

If you complain this much about other peoples "problems" I would hate to hear about yours........:thehand:

#13 ·
You don't have to run a Magnavolt on the Maggie.
You can swap to a High-Flow Fuel-Pump instead.
You would just need a custom tune to go with it, as the tune shipping with the Maggie is tuned for Magnavolt.

The Magnavolt is a rather simple electrical device and does have good reliability.
The problem with this car is still undetermined.

#15 ·
This looks like an "agree to disagree" situation Heavy, because I don't consider removing a Supercharger, shipping it back, being without a car, waiting, then reinstalling it 4 times to be a "problem" (I'm assuming the quotes indicate you consider it a minor one). That's a PROBLEM.

You know me pretty well- I call 'em like I see 'em. Not trying to dissuade anyone from the Maggie route, I just see more posts about this than any other SC/Turbo kit on any of the car forums I've been on over the years.

#16 ·
Well I recommend you go back to the first posts about installing maggies.

A lot of people were happy.

As for current, one of the biggest threads dealing with a "maggie" complaint had to do with CHEFS USED maggie, and it is questionable as to wether it was thrashed or even his.

Secondly, a lot of people have screwed around with smaller pullies and the like so who knows how far they have deviated from the application.

Third, this latest "complaint" may not even be maggie related.

Like I said, you seem to focus in on the worst of the worst.

I am not a shill for Magnuson and anyone who knows me knows that if there was a problem I would be SCREAMING about it.

I like the performance of the maggie so much I installed another one on my Z.

You would have more credability if you had installed one yourself.

The reports I get from installers is that the Magnavolt is a POS.

Mine have not failed yet, but maybe that is because I mounted the one in my V in the trunk.

One of the DUMBEST things called out in the newer installations is mounting the Magnavolt under the hood.

Electronics don't like being put in an oven and thermocycled.:banghead:

So yeah we can agree to disagree, but I have two maggies installed and operating with no problems.:yup:

#18 ·
Check your fuel pump

The older Magnavolt had a soft rubber fuse housing that seems to gather charge??? (don't ask me, I'm a ChemE) and keeps the circuit closed on the fuel pump. This causes it to keep running after you shut the engine off. If you don't hear the pump running (I didn't at first) you notice that the battery runs down quicker than normal. Considering the battery problems with V's, it made sense to me. After noticing the pump noise, I pulled the fuse to kill the pump and called Magnusson.

They sent me a new fuse holder that has cured the problem. But yours may be a pump fried from extended continual operation.

Good luck on chasing the problem down.

#20 ·
I'm not claiming it's a piece of junk, nor do I claim to have firsthand experience with it. I'm glad to hear that yours are doing well, and I would expect at least some of them to be trouble free as I never said they were all garbage.

However:

Suppose 10 of your friends buy a Widget and 7 of them break during normal use. One of the friends sends it in to get replaced and it continues to break and need replacing. Wouldn't you be a little hesitant to buy one of those Widgets for yourself, even though 3 of the friends love theirs?

The biggest thread on Maggie failures wasn't the one that was supposedly Chef's used one, but rather the WW saga. I'm not scrappin' for an argument over this, I just see a lot of issues.

#21 ·
This is getting old.

Where do you get this 7 out of 10 number?

Why don't you run a poll asking about maggie installs and wether one would do it again or not, and problems?

Like I said, you seem to focus in on the worst.

"If your looking for a reason not to do something, you don't have to look very far" (heavymetals)

As for WW, ask him how much and how many times he tracked/raced his car and ask him about the maggie.

I don't recall him saying it was a waste of time or money.

#24 ·
This is getting old.
You ain't kidding. Bill never claimed it was a waste of money, but I seem to recall him getting sick of the problems and buying a Lex-Ass. I was just making an observation, but since you've got two dogs in this race you took it personally.

Here's me-------------------------->

<-----------------------Here's me leaving this conversation

Carry on.

#25 ·
Sniff Sniff ... is that Assimilation I smell?

Sorry REALLLY long day at work as the last day before every 3 day weekend is.

#29 ·
Just like diffs exploding in a huge fireworks of bits under the car, the actual % of people experiencing "oh my god this is a POS issue" with Maggies is extremely small.

If one is worried about the Magnavolt, don't use it. There are many of us here that aren't and we're not bitching. There are many with Magnavolts and no problems that aren't bitching. Combine the two camps and the assumed POS metrics are orders of magnitude out of whack.

:playdrv4me:

#30 ·
UPDATE ON MY V:
When you turn the key to the "on" position (not the start or ignition position) you hear what sounds like the fuel pump running (sounds like a very small motor somewhere in the engine compartment) and it keeps running and running and running. I also hear a "swishing sound" (gas??) in connection with this. I don't smell gas, however. Car continues to crank over but no attempt whatsoever to fire.
Could this be my Magnavolt??

#33 ·
My Magnavolt is mounted under the hood. Ya, you're probably right--the sound I hear must be from the small water pump which means that my fuel pump isn't coming on at all. Does the Magnavolt have its own fuse??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.