Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually just lurk and I hope I am not violating proper etiquette here with this but I need help.

One day my car decided to quit starting up. One click and nothing. I recently replaced the starter, then a new battery. Now I get a crank, kind of slowish, but no ignition. I pulled the codes on the DIC, no current codes detected.

I really like this car and I would like to keep it but quickly running out of patience. After I bought the darn thing I had it inspected at a shop where they confirmed I had a blown head gasket. The used lot I bought it from didn't want to take back the car and gave me a warranty that was not honored by the repair shop. So I took that loss and had a used engine installed for over $3K in Aug. 2012. 5K miles and 4 months later it wont start (that was on 12/24/12).

I have no idea whats going on and why it will not start. I hope someone here can help a Caddy fan out.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,098 Posts
I usually just lurk and I hope I am not violating proper etiquette here with this but I need help.

One day my car decided to quit starting up. One click and nothing. I recently replaced the starter, then a new battery. Now I get a crank, kind of slowish, but no ignition. I pulled the codes on the DIC, no current codes detected.

I really like this car and I would like to keep it but quickly running out of patience. After I bought the darn thing I had it inspected at a shop where they confirmed I had a blown head gasket. The used lot I bought it from didn't want to take back the car and gave me a warranty that was not honored by the repair shop. So I took that loss and had a used engine installed for over $3K in Aug. 2012. 5K miles and 4 months later it wont start (that was on 12/24/12).

I have no idea whats going on and why it will not start. I hope someone here can help a Caddy fan out.
-----------------------------
having no codes does not make sense -

the act of disconnecting the battery will set a code -

what kind of battery did you install -

what is the voltage with the key on - engine off -

what is the voltage at idle -

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
How did the cables look? Any corrosion on them? If they are good, try connecting a redundant ground from the negative cable to a known good ground. You could you a jumper cable for this test.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-----------------------------
having no codes does not make sense -

the act of disconnecting the battery will set a code -

what kind of battery did you install -

what is the voltage with the key on - engine off -

what is the voltage at idle -
Few days ago when I pulled the codes, they all said history.
Pulled again today and now I have one current: ACM B1348
Defined as: Very Low Refrig/AC Pressure

I bought from O'reilly's one SuperStart Battery model: SSB78-72J.
Currently with key on, engine off DIC reads 11.3v.
Due to not being able to start, I can not check the voltage at idle.

----------

The cables look fine. I also received from O'reilly's at the time of purchase of battery, a small package of no corrode gel which was applied to posts. I will perform this test when I get a hold of jumper cables. Thanks

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,098 Posts
Few days ago when I pulled the codes, they all said history.
Pulled again today and now I have one current: ACM B1348
Defined as: Very Low Refrig/AC Pressure

I bought from O'reilly's one SuperStart Battery model: SSB78-72J.
Due to not being able to start, I can not check the voltage at idle.

----------

The cables look fine. I also received from O'reilly's at the time of purchase of battery, a small package of no corrode gel which was applied to posts. I will perform this test when I get a hold of jumper cables. Thanks
-----------------------
it should be around 12.6 with a new - fully charged battery -
below 12.0 volts is considered "dead"

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
Dic voltage with key on, engine off is usually misleading. My car reads 11.5 also. U need to start car, duh, check voltage with running motor, at battery. Dic is for giggles. When ur bored. Or feel like buying parts.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
The engine won't turn over, so it won't start. Either use a jumper battery (be careful and do it correctly) or try another battery.

Do you have a VOM ?? What is the DC voltage at the battery terminals ? 11.3 volts on the VOM is essentially dead.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engine won't turn over, so it won't start. Either use a jumper battery (be careful and do it correctly) or try another battery.

Do you have a VOM ?? What is the DC voltage at the battery terminals ? 11.3 volts on the VOM is essentially dead.
I am not in possession of a VOM or multimeter, but I tried a jump start with my Dad's 2000 ETC this morning with no results. It looks like I'll eventually have it towed to a local repair shop to be properly diagnosed and repaired because I feel like I'm spending money unnecessarily at this point with the starter and battery I just purchased and still not luck with starting. I'm not confident that the warranty included with the engine I replaced will cover the work because they told me it covers only the block itself.

On a side note I'm leaning towards selling it to purchase an older model preferably a 70-72 CDV or Eldo in hopes that an older car should be less daunting to repair in contrast to a N*

·
Registered
2002 STS/ 1994 STS
229 Posts
To an extent I suppose you're right, however, my '76 Fleetwood has a great deal of exclusive parts that are not shared with Olds and Buick. Doorhandles (interior/exterior), lock cylinders,glass, headlamps, are some of the items that are shared. Try finding parts for a vintage car

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
scott f said:
To an extent I suppose you're right, however, my '76 Fleetwood has a great deal of exclusive parts that are not shared with Olds and Buick. Doorhandles (interior/exterior), lock cylinders,glass, headlamps, are some of the items that are shared. Try finding parts for a vintage car
Point well taken. I live in Oakland and there is a rich classic car culture here. I can easily see at least 5 of these early to mid 70s beasts on the streets on any given day here. I can't sit here and say parts wont be hard to get though.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: I was just told by a local repair shop that the reason my car will not start is because the A/C compressor and driveline belt needs to be replaced and that it will not be an easy job. I was quoted +$1000. Any thoughts/opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Seville STS
306 Posts
Are they saying that the A/C compressor is frozen (meaning the pulley won't turn)? If that's not it, I don't see what that has to do with it not being able to start.

If they are referring to the serpentine belt, the part costs about $40.00 and it's not that hard to replace, at least not on my 98 Seville. Others with more knowledge than me might be able to suggest a workaround as far as the compressor is concerned.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are they saying that the A/C compressor is frozen (meaning the pulley won't turn)? If that's not it, I don't see what that has to do with it not being able to start.

If they are referring to the serpentine belt, the part costs about $40.00 and it's not that hard to replace, at least not on my 98 Seville. Others with more knowledge than me might be able to suggest a workaround as far as the compressor is concerned.
They said the compressor and driveline belt needs to be replaced in order to start. Along with other recommended work like an oil change due to gas flooding and coolant flush. Before I had it towed there, it would crank, but the ignition would not fire up.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
Tell them to remove serp belt and show u if car will start. Suppose they will say car won't start cuz alternator is not spinning.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
Follow Stove's advice above. IF the compressor is seized and that is what they are eluding to, then it will start with the belt tension removed. Don't even need to remove the belt. Just put a breaker bar in the tensioner and use it as a lever to remove belt tension. Keep in mind that for the compressor to be seized and preventing the engine from starting, the clutch would also have to be seized, locking it to the compressor. A lot of stars need to be in alignment.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ranger said:
Follow Stove's advice above. IF the compressor is seized and that is what they are eluding to, then it will start with the belt tension removed. Don't even need to remove the belt. Just put a breaker bar in the tensioner and use it as a lever to remove belt tension. Keep in mind that for the compressor to be seized and preventing the engine from starting, the clutch would also have to be seized, locking it to the compressor. A lot of stars need to be in alignment.
I just left and spoke with the mechanic. I was told the motor will indeed start with the belt disconnected but I can't drive it because the alternator would not be getting charged.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts