Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SRX N* AWD, 2009 SRX N* AWD, 1986 Buick Grand National
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wife totaled our 2004 N* AWD with 85000 miles and was like brand new. :crying: Titanium with ebony interior. We need to replace ASAP as we both say we can't stand another weekend without our car to travel in! :bomb: You all know what I mean. Now that we are looking, N* AWD for sale are far and few between, and looking for colors, condition, and finding one a resonable distance makes it even harder. I need your insight, there are more N* rear wheel drive with options, and with the V-6, we have endless options. We hauled our 20 foot open bow ski boat with the car, and it was perfect, but we have nothing to compare too. We will buy any 2006- 2009 with the options we like such as NAV, adj pedals, heated seats, and we but will have more of a chance getting a v-6 with all the options. So, this is where you can help answer questions. Is the N* better than v-6? Are there less issues with N* than the V-6 in your opinion? How does V-6 tow? Are there more Oil and Timing chain issues? What are your thoughts??????:confused: Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.:2thumbs: Also I forgot to ask, AWD verses RWD in either 6 or 8? as I know I can find more RWD N*'s with more options.

Wesley

----------

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
My parents have an 04 and 06 V8 AWD models. Wouldn't consider ever going down to the V6 or RWD model. The size needs the extra torque from the V8. We haven't towed anything with either one but I would imagine the V6 would struggle. If you get 2007 or newer you will get the 6spd transmission rather than the 5spd the 04 has.

·
Registered
('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD
1,049 Posts
My opinion: You're in Michigan--get the AWD! From all I've read here over the years, I'd only go N* if I were in the market.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
My parents have an 04 and 06 V8 AWD models. Wouldn't consider ever going down to the V6 or RWD model. The size needs the extra torque from the V8. We haven't towed anything with either one but I would imagine the V6 would struggle. If you get 2007 or newer you will get the 6spd transmission rather than the 5spd the 04 has.
Also I wouldn't want to deal with the V6 oil consumption and timing chain issues. The ones we have don't use enough oil between OLM changes to register any change on the dipstick.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Trust me the 3.6 has plenty of oil issues timing chain and gas mileage issues. Get the n* awd for power gas mileage towing and less oil use and less issues to worry about

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
Wesley......I hope that your wife is OK after that accident. That is the most important thing. Cars can be replaced.

As I expected, the N* owners would never switch to the V6 and the V6 owners wish they had a V8. reasons vary.

I don't have time to post my thoughts thoroughly right now and will do so later today.

If I were in your suddenly SRX-less shoes, I would also want want to get back into a first generation SRX. I would bite the financial bullet and be looking for a local-to-you low mileage 2009, preferably certified pre-owned, and only from a Cadillac/GM dealer. EVEN IF I could not find a Northstar. The reality is the 2007-2009 V8s just are not out there. Personally, I would want to buy locally so I had more control over matters pre-purchase and post purchase.

In the interim, if longevity of the V6 is on your mind, read the following if you have not already done so. It may balance some concerns you may have over the V6.

Later,
PJ

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
The V6 has more timing chain related issues, but I don't think that should drive your decision. If you are doing a lot of hauling I would definitely try to find a V8 (more horsepower). That being said, the V6 is capable, just not as capable. It would appear that the only reason to select V6 over V8 is fuel economy, but the difference is ever so slight (1-2 mpg). As another user stated your bigger question is RWD or AWD. Again AWD will take a bit more fuel (1-2 mpg) than RWD, but may be far more available. So I would look for V8 AWD or V6 AWD, if you only pull a trailer short distance or sporadically.

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320
2,623 Posts
It is a no brainer, AWD V8.

I don't think the AWD uses 1-2 MPG more fuel, it is only like another few hundred pounds and a bit of drag, sort of a non issue and come time to sell the AWD is the car to have.

The V6 will pull anything the V8 will so that does not matter, if pulling at the limit the V8 may net you a bit better economy and less struggle.

Get the later gen 07-09 for the new interior, the V8 can also be chipped and that made a big change in ours.

Every time I see a post like this I think I need to sell my SRX, and how lucky I was to get it.

·
Registered
2014 Standard SrX grey/black 2006 GTO
1,795 Posts
Go for a N* with the 6 speed.
the 6 spd will give 8% lower crusing rpms.
In the real world the mpgs on N* were not that much worse. At 80 mph they were almost identical but at 65 and below the v6 got better mileage.
If you go 2006 or later you will get the smaller door rockers which makes it easier to get in and out of and the power liftgate is standard as well.
if you go 2007 or later you get the redesigned dash which i think still looks great.

I use autotrader and will travel a few hundred miles to get the right car. It has always paid off. EX. I bought my brand new 2009 N* SRX in February 2010.
I got it for $13,000 off. Found it in vero beach. fla which is 6.5 hours away. Did the drive there and back and the deal in 1 day.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Advising Wesley to get the V8 Northstar makes sense with his preferences and needs but doesn't help him much. He is going to be making a decision shortly because his wife's SRX is gonzo. Finding a Northstar local to him in a limited anount of time is less likely than more. The production numbers for 2007-2009 are miniscule, with 2009 coming in at like 350 units!!!!!!

PJ

·
Registered
2009 SRX AWD 3.6L
326 Posts

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
Pass on it- no heated steering wheel.:alchi:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I buy pre-owned consistently. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. But you guys are braver than I am. Beauty is only skin deep, as much as I like the color and the apparent condition of this one. Call me nitpicky, but this is a $25,000 purchase we are talking about. The risk here to get a Northstar is too rich for my blood.

In a pre-owned deal, I would feel uncomfortable not having my hands on the dealership that sold me the car if/when something goes South post purchase. Uncomfortable not having the pre-purchase opportunity to have my trusted local mechanic check the vehicle out. Factory warranty situation (remaining) or GM warranty extension options? Didn't see info on CPO from the Mercedes dealership in the descriptive either which I would have expected in a vehicle like this; there is a valid reason the dealership did not designate this vehicle CPO after taking it in. Plus the airfare from Detroit to Omaha and back is a sunk cost (about a 1,500 mile round trip drive).

I could however understand how B4Z could make his trip because he was buying a brand new 2009, a clean slate deal with no downsides.

The odometer mileage is fairly reasonable (lower) though @ 47K. And the $25K price tag is reasonable too. Looks like it has the Sport package in the pictures (fascias and billeted grills), third row seating, and the UltraView roof (plusses in my mind). Has AWD I would want living in Michigan, where Weseley lives. NAV (Wesley mentioned on his punch list) unclear in descriptive, listed in "options" but not the key features highlights which I find strange......but dealerships sometimes don't do a good job accurately listing in their adds what the vehicle has. Towing package for the hookups and trans/coolant coolers not mentioned anywhere.

As much as I have been and still am enamored with the FirstGen SRX (looks like nothing else on the road) and a Northstar (the fun factor which is important to me), I don't like the risk versus the opportunity here......but it certainly does look tempting.

PJ

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Maybe I am out of touch..... but $28,000 for a 4.5 model year old CPO SRX with 31,000 miles sounds a little steep, even a loaded one. No? Maybe the dealer knows how rare a 2008 GenI Srx with the N* and low mileage might be worth to some knucklehead like me. :yup: At least Iowa is closer to Michigan than Nebraska.

PJ

1 - 20 of 26 Posts