Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, i know this may be a dumb question for a forum like this, but I am torn between leasing a new 09 subaru WRX STI or buying a certified pre-owned 2007 CTS-V. They payments come out to about the same and I am a new car every three ish years kinda guy. I am VERY concerned about the wheel hop rear diff stuff i read here about the CTS-V. The subaru is a bit small, not very refined interior, and ugly as sin, but very quick and handles very well, a rocket. I currently am at the end of my lease on my Mazdaspeed 6, so i am used to nimble handling. The Caddy has more prestige, namesake, and looks to die for with serious power, but it is used and theres a newer one out there that i can't afford. Please weigh in with your vote to help me.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Okay, i know this may be a dumb question for a forum like this, but I am torn between leasing a new 09 subaru WRX STI or buying a certified pre-owned 2007 CTS-V. They payments come out to about the same and I am a new car every three ish years kinda guy. I am VERY concerned about the wheel hop rear diff stuff i read here about the CTS-V. The subaru is a bit small, not very refined interior, and ugly as sin, but very quick and handles very well, a rocket. I currently am at the end of my lease on my Mazdaspeed 6, so i am used to nimble handling. The Caddy has more prestige, namesake, and looks to die for with serious power, but it is used and theres a newer one out there that i can't afford. Please weigh in with your vote to help me.
I completely agree with your first observation - this is a dumb question for a forum like this.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
The 09 STI is as you said, "ugly as sin". I hate that car. If you buy STI go to at least the year prior. To me if its a battle between 09 STI or used V, hands down the V. Faster, better handling, looks MUCH MUCH MUCH better, and more comfortable too. But I'm biased as I own a V.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ride in style.. its a no brainer for this forum...go with the V and your wont regret it even if you have dif problems..

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts
The 09 STI is as you said, "ugly as sin". I hate that car. If you buy STI go to at least the year prior. To me if its a battle between 09 STI or used V, hands down the V. Faster, better handling, looks MUCH MUCH MUCH better, and more comfortable too. But I'm biased as I own a V.
+1 on everything he said. I personally love the 02-07 Wrx body style but the 09's look FUGLY and bottom line disgraceful to the brand.

Get the 07 :v:, if you keep the stock exhaust, the v will retain the old man caddy sleeper effect.. geriatric at idle and badass at WOT .. People always mistake my :v: for a modded cts. but then they see it in action. nuff said after that.

+ Sti's will always have that "ricer" stigma which gets attention from the cops. and negative attention in the real world if your over 25, especially if you mod it at all.

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses so far. I am 30 years old and I am a professional, so in that regard the caddy fits better. Yes, I have driven the V and it rouses the senses, it's just bigger than anything I've driven before and i drive very hard, I am sorta afraid of breaking something if that makes any sense. Do y'all use the navi? It seemed quite antiquated relative to my buddys nav in his 09 altima. Please keep the comments coming. Maybe I am just trying to convince myself. :) Thanks for the help

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
I understand where your coming from. I came from a dynocomp stage 3 unleashed STI to my :v:

BUY THE V! the STI is a great car and is a lot of fun to drive but there's nothing like a big classy V8.

the one thing I don't miss about the STI is it's an idiot magnet. every rice burner in America is out to get you ha ha.

·
Registered
2004 Platinum CTS-V
446 Posts
[flamesuit]
I really, really like the STi... a LOT.. old style, new style, whatever...
[/flamesuit]
but... my wife put's it best... no matter HOW you cut it, the STi looks like a kid's car. Being a "professional", you would get more "appreciation and respect" looks in the V and more 16-20 year olds drooling over your STi...
I love my V... wish I could get a new one NOW... instead of 2013 when my warranty's up... but a V it is for now, and a V it will be for then...

Oh...

Get the V

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
Are you planning on running any off-road rally events? If not, get the V.

·
Registered
cts-v
2,741 Posts
I like the last gen sti alot but i wouldnt touch the new one as I am not a fan of hatches.

i dont see any on road area that the sti can compete with the v... maybe skid pad

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
:rice2:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
if you have driven both and you still can't make up your mind, then buy nothing. You either have no clue as to what you like, or no clue as to what you are looking at. Aside from 4 wheels and good acceleration, these cars have nothing in common.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
The harder you drive the V, the better it feels.
The diff in the 07 is better than the 04-05 diffs that everyone complains about. That said, I have my original 05 diff with 31K miles and a supercharger. No problems at all. And its pretty easy to get a new diff under warranty.

There's something to be said about getting something new (different in this case). You've had a little Jap car. Try the torquie sport sedan. Who knows, your next car might be the V2.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,200 Posts
To me they're two so totally different cars (other than price) that there's no reason to compare them. I have both a Subaru (non-turbo, in my case) and obviously a V, so I fully understand the merits of both. As for which is "faster", it depends on how you want to define it. I'd be willing to bet that the two cars would post similar lap times on a road course in capable hands. The STI will be easier to drive fast and will be much more "toss-able" because of the big weight advantage. The V is clearly a much better long distance hauler, just loping along with the LS motor not even breathing hard at 80 or 90mph on the highway. And there are plenty of Subie fans that love the sound of the boxer-4, but nothing (well, almost nothing) beats the sound of a V8. Mmmmmm...

I think nxlr8 put it best - the V is a more "professional" or "grown up" car. With that said, I don't particularly give a shit what other people think about what I drive, so I buy a car based on what is fun for me. I've had my Subaru for over 10 years now and continue to tinker with it all the time. I could've done a turbo swap in it long ago, but have stuck with the N/A route and focused on the suspension. It's silver with bronze wheels (with red lug nuts, to boot! :eek:), so I'm sure many here would say it's "ricey", but I think it looks cool, so they can piss off. :)

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,006 Posts
To me they're two so totally different cars (other than price) that there's no reason to compare them. I have both a Subaru (non-turbo, in my case) and obviously a V, so I fully understand the merits of both. As for which is "faster", it depends on how you want to define it. I'd be willing to bet that the two cars would post similar lap times on a road course in capable hands. The STI will be easier to drive fast and will be much more "toss-able" because of the big weight advantage. The V is clearly a much better long distance hauler, just loping along with the LS motor not even breathing hard at 80 or 90mph on the highway. And there are plenty of Subie fans that love the sound of the boxer-4, but nothing (well, almost nothing) beats the sound of a V8. Mmmmmm...

I think nxlr8 put it best - the V is a more "professional" or "grown up" car. With that said, I don't particularly give a shit what other people think about what I drive, so I buy a car based on what is fun for me. I've had my Subaru for over 10 years now and continue to tinker with it all the time. I could've done a turbo swap in it long ago, but have stuck with the N/A route and focused on the suspension. It's silver with bronze wheels (with red lug nuts, to boot! :eek:), so I'm sure many here would say it's "ricey", but I think it looks cool, so they can piss off. :)
Well said.

·
Registered
2004 Platinum CTS-V
446 Posts
With that said, I don't particularly give a shit what other people think about what I drive, so I buy a car based on what is fun for me.....so I'm sure many here would say it's "ricey", but I think it looks cool, so they can piss off. :)
Obviously I don't care either... I'm 34 and here's my garage:

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
I think you said it best yourself already: You are a professional.

When you see a person driving a Cadillac, that person looks professional. If that same person drives up in a little Subaru, it doesn't look near as classy and respectible. No offense to the wrx/sti people, but I don't think even they could argue that fact.

Besides, who wants 16-20 year old idiot kids googling over your car? I'll take the hot chicks staring at my V anyday. :2thumbs:

Sleeper factor on a V: 10
Sleeper factor on a Subie: -4

1 - 20 of 45 Posts