Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTSV
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read through some threads, and have yet to speakto RPM about this but my trans is majorly slipping in every gear. Supposedly they built the transmission with stronger clutches and upgraded the valve body (they dont have it listed on thier site) I am making over 500WHP on a mustang dyno. I can't imagine babying the car for the first 350-400 miles to break it in, then driving it normally because I was scaredit would break again as I am not in the financial position to do this anymore. Warranty on thier site says 90 days which i have not been through yet. I purchased through a tuner shop they sent it out at a fair price, but now it is gone after driving for 1700 total miles!!! I read through 600+ thread and he blew two of thier transmissions already, but he had a convertor and alot more power than me. I saw Jesse's thread up about his trans I just need to see if this trans is covered...IT SHOULD BE. Anyone have input for me?

·
Registered
1958 Coupe DeVille
591 Posts
You say you haven't spoken to RPM yet. Why not? That's who you have to talk to before your warranty is up. See what happens there first. Cecil............

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
I don't fully understand. You write that you can't imagine breaking it in for 350-400 miles, so one would assume you didn't even if you say that you drove around normally. Did you follow their instructions (if any) for break in, especially if you're not in a financial position to buy another transmission?

In any case, your first call should be to RPM, ASAP, to avail yourself of the warranty since you are within the warranty period.

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V Crystal White, CF,AM Wheels
186 Posts
If its the RPM for indiana. Rodney is a stand up guy! Give them a call and let them know what's up.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
816 Posts
I've heard from more than one person that RPM normally only sells these transmissions through shops that they trust when it comes to tuning. From what I understand, there are a nearly an unlimited number of variables that can be modified in the transmission and not getting it right will burn up a transmission in short order.

I would imagine your tuner is somebody they trust (if they sent them a trans for your car), but who knows. Like others have said, a call to RPM should be first on your list of things to do.

Also, if they suggest a 350-400 miles break-in I'm not sure why you wouldn't listen to them (if I'm reading your first post correctly). Hopefully you get it all squared away.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium
22 Posts
It sounds to me like the OP was trying to say he can't imagine "how it" broke considering he babied it for the break in period and then continued to drive it normal without stressing it too much, because he was scared he'd blow it up and then it blew up anyway on him.

First call should have been to RPM or the shop who installed it. Considering the time of the post, I suspect he was just freaking out since it was after hours and needed to vent. Sounds like it's a vendor people know and trust (I'm new here and just learning what's what), so I'd imagine they'd take good care of him, since he is well within his warranty period.

Hopefully, the OP will come back in and tell us how it all goes.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
816 Posts
It sounds to me like the OP was trying to say he can't imagine "how it" broke considering he babied it for the break in period and then continued to drive it normal without stressing it too much, because he was scared he'd blow it up and then it blew up anyway on him.

First call should have been to RPM or the shop who installed it. Considering the time of the post, I suspect he was just freaking out since it was after hours and needed to vent. Sounds like it's a vendor people know and trust (I'm new here and just learning what's what), so I'd imagine they'd take good care of him, since he is well within his warranty period.

Hopefully, the OP will come back in and tell us how it all goes.
Ahhh, that could be the case. I just couldn't make heads or tails of what he meant. Yes RPM should be the first call Monday morning. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2014 CTS-V Wagon
129 Posts
Give the vendor a chance to make it right. I know it was late and the shop was closed when you made the post, but too many people are too quick to run to the internet with a problem when the shop doesn't even know there's a problem. I've never done business with RPM, but you should speak to them first before lighting the torches. JMO

·
Registered
CTS-V
342 Posts
You should have spoke with your shop and rpm before making a post like this on the net. I have used rpm about 25x over the past 6 years. In my eyes the tune is 80% of keeping these trans alive I see where rpm is coming from. First why did yours go south under 600? You can't fun these like all other gm trans. You have to keep them downshift easy but you can command upshifts hard as u want. My car making 650* whp and hundreds of full throttle runs never had a slightest issue.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V
249 Posts
Agreed RPM are stand up guys! Ive purchased over 20 trans from them and Ive never had a issue!

·
Registered
cts-v
204 Posts
Your best bet is get out while you can. It will only happen again. Try to get a new one from the dealer. If it still looks stock on the outside warranty it. I really don't know why rpm keeps trying to sell these transmissions? They don't work! If your car is just over 500 HP why even build the trans? For rite now until I see otherwise stock is the way to go. If your tuner knows what he is doing. I would like to think it would be the same with a built transmission but I haven't seen it yet.

·
Registered
13 Volt, 2008 Outlook XR (05 CTS Blk/Blk Traded-in)
662 Posts
Your best bet is get out while you can. It will only happen again. Try to get a new one from the dealer. If it still looks stock on the outside warranty it. ........
:tisk::cop:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Your best bet is get out while you can. It will only happen again. Try to get a new one from the dealer. If it still looks stock on the outside warranty it. I really don't know why rpm keeps trying to sell these transmissions? They don't work! If your car is just over 500 HP why even build the trans? For rite now until I see otherwise stock is the way to go. If your tuner knows what he is doing. I would like to think it would be the same with a built transmission but I haven't seen it yet.
You have to be kidding???!

"Try to get a new one from the dealer. If it still looks stock on the outside warranty it."

I presume you have said more than you intended to say...and will just let it go at that.

·
Registered
cts-v
204 Posts
You have to be kidding???!

"Try to get a new one from the dealer. If it still looks stock on the outside warranty it."

I presume you have said more than you intended to say...and will just let it go at that.
I could of said go rob a bank to pay for all the broken transmissions he is going to have to pay for. Or I could of said jump off a bridge. Does that mean go do it? No! LOL. You guy's must have a serious type of personality?

·
Registered
2009 CTSV
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I have been speaking to the shop that sent it to RPM. TO clarify, I drove the car 400 miles babying it, and broke it in correctly. That is what was asked of me and thats what I did. The same trans file from the same tuner was put in the car after the rebuilt unit was put in. I have not changed it at all. This is where it gets a little complicated...he is telling me he called RPM (yes it was after hours and they werent open today to call) and told them that I had the tune done somewhere else, because we were arguing over the fact that I spent countless time trying to correct an isolator noise from the supercharger, and various other issues including the fact that he tuned my car to an AF of 9.6 (VERRRRYYYY rich) I know RPM trusts him, but at this point why would he call telling RPM that I had a tune changed in the car? The trans file is the same. I am not posting this against RPM, they haven't even had a chance to answer my questions in all fairness. I hear Rodney is a standup guy, and I hope they warranty it. I gave a budget to the tuner and he met it, but now I have a useless transmission in the car with nothing touched on the tune file but my AF ratio.

I am not knocking RPM at this point in time. I haven't exchanged thoughts with them yet. My question is if the same file that was put into the car from last time was put in now, then why would they not warranty it? At this point I have to bypass the tuner and go to the source. So far I have spoken today to Level 10 transmissions and regardless they build everything in house. they warranty transmissions for 12,000 or a year in writing. As far as I understand there are upgraded clutch packs in 3-5 and valve body work done to the car. the tuner wants me to bring the car downand see if it's his trans tune, (which it is) I want to call RPM because he also wont provide mewith a breakdownof what was actually done to the trans and what I paid for. The last trans went, OK got 30Kmiles out of it. NowI put in a rebuilt unit with the same tune, and it goes south in a month with upgraded parts? It sounds to me to be the last tune file that he dumped in was not correct (the trans was slipping at that point which I do not blame him for, but trans #2 has that same tune in it. Maybe it's my mistrust in this whole scenario, but taking a year to resolve something that Jesse diag'd over the phone by listening to my sound, that my tuner chased (or didn't) for a YEAR is absurd. I am no drama queen,I justwant what I pay for. I will update the post after I give RPM a chance to reconcile the issue. If they don't then I have to take action. I have other posts i would like to add here also, lets get this one resolved first. i am here to help the community and ask advice/guidance.

I will try and get it done by RPM and if they refuse, I will proceed legally. As for reading other posts, seems that there is no real trans solution for the 6L90E as of yet, but I trust Jesse will get it done well. Thanks all for taking the time to read my rant and post. I need to speak to RPM now. Will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
2009 CTSV
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You should have spoke with your shop and rpm before making a post like this on the net. I have used rpm about 25x over the past 6 years. In my eyes the tune is 80% of keeping these trans alive I see where rpm is coming from. First why did yours go south under 600? You can't fun these like all other gm trans. You have to keep them downshift easy but you can command upshifts hard as u want. My car making 650* whp and hundreds of full throttle runs never had a slightest issue.
I hear you I am not bashing them YET. If they make it right then they are stand up, if not then we have an issue.My post was more intended to get feedback on the trans and what my next step was. Maybe the tune file in there from the tuner is no good for the new unit and was only meant to try and save it at that point in time. I agree with you 100% I havenot given RPM a chance yet. The tuner I am also giving the chance as well to make it right as you see Iam not bashing either of them YET. I just want it fixed, as it should be under warranty. RPM says 90 days on thier site, so I am well within that time frame. I need to speak to them Monday morning and deal from there.

G

·
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... EXACTLY why I went with the 6spd MANUAL transmission. You will NEVER find one of those blown up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.