Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, im new here. i just got a 99 seville sts BEFORE finding this website. it has 104,000 miles on it and after reading this i may sell it now. runs good and passed MD state inspection already. mint inside and out but im scared off by the listed problems from others on this site. checked the codes and all of them seem to be related to a bad battery/battery replacement at one time or another. nothing related to emissions, sensors, ect. any advice? hold on to it or unload it?

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
If it has been well cared for it could last you for a very long time. I would hold onto it but that is only because I love the FWD Sevilles.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,129 Posts
:rolleyes: Don't overlook the fact that all the problems in this particular forum represent a tiny fraction of the Seville/Deville/Eldo vehicles in service. Go to your nearby Cad dealer in the middle of a weekday afternoon (slow service writer period) and have them pull the GM service history for your VIN. That should give you some idea of what's been done to the car. Post your location and vehicle year/model in your header. Log onto www.alldatadiy.com and take out a subscription for your VIN. Every recall, service bulletin, part, labor time, hint, wiring diagram, anything about your model and year is there. It's worth the $. (there are quite a few Marylanders in here.......)

·
Registered
1998 Black STS
30 Posts
I have a '98 STS with 175,000 miles on it that runs like a champ. The only thing I have had to do to it is replace the waterpump at 120,000. It seems that on car forums, the only people that post are ones that are looking for help with a problem. If you maintain the cooling system and change the oil, a good GM car will last a very long time. My '93 Cutlass 3.1 V6 has 275,000 miles on it and I would drive it cross country today!

John

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
I bought a 99 STS in January w/87K, needed a water pump when I got it. So far I've turned 5,000 miles and loved every one. The only downside is that it will make every other car you drive feel like junk. I used to like the ride on my wife's 2000 Conncorde - now it feels lke a big bouncy tin box after the Caddy. Drive it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
And in case you didn't read it in other posts: Northstar motors use oil by design - a quart every 1,000 miles is not unsual or a symptom of a problem. But you need to check it regularly. The sump holds 7.5 quarts too; so be prepared when you change the oil. You also must keep up the coolant service - it is more important on these cars than others.

·
Registered
Cadillac
74 Posts
hey guys, great info on here and im glad i found a site that caters to caddie lovers...anyways, i have a 98 seville sts with 120000 miles...it runs like a top and i baby the hell outta of it, however i hear you guys talkin about maintaining the coolant system -- what can i myself do to maintain it? my good friend is a mechanic and can help me out...thanks

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,994 Posts
Change the coolant per the owners manual (or sooner). If it has never been done, you are way over do.

·
Registered
2000 STS
10 Posts
Don't bail so quickly, compadre...Cars must be thought of as Individuals, each with their own personality - good and bad...some are just "badder" than others and seem to like to behaving badly...some are Straight-A students who love their Parents - eager to please and a joy to be around...

And 100,000 miles is about the time them little Gremlins attack a vehicle - Alternator, Water Pump etc.

You have not gotten the chance to learn what type of Car you got there...

I, like you, just bought a pre-owned Caddy (2000 STS) and I am getting hit with the dreaded Wet Junk in 'Da Trunk disease...I hope to find the problem and resolve it - it can be done...you just need to draw the line - when does the Badness overake the Goodnes in a car???

Enjoy your Caddy!!!!

T. F. Otmi :emocide:

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I, like you, just bought a pre-owned Caddy (2000 STS) and I am getting hit with the dreaded Wet Junk in 'Da Trunk disease...I hope to find the problem and resolve it - it can be done...you just need to draw the line - when does the Badness overake the Goodnes in a car???

T. F. Otmi :emocide:
im thinking about hanging in there. please let me know what you find...i have a pool in my spare tire area also...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts