Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 STS

Just 2 weeks ago it begun giving me problems starting.

Especially when the engine is hot, say, 20 mins after shopping and I try to start, I can hear the starter clicking but sounds like no fuel. When it's cold it's much less often. Sometime pushing gas pad helps sometime not.

Didn't check fuel pressure yet.

What could be the problem?
Fuel pump? Ignition coil? What else? Very expensive to fix it?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
Pressing the gas pedal does nothing on a fuel injected car. That's an old carburator trick.

If all you hear is clicking, it is not a fuel problem. It's electrical. Check the battery & cables. If they are OK, then it might be the starter.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
If battery is ok, and if car has over 100,000 miles, as Ranger says, it is most likely starter. Starter is under intake manifold on this car. At dealer, it is several hours labor. Do a search on here to see how tough it is for anyone to change starter.

I am not sure, but at a dealer, you are probably talking about $70 for diagnostics, 6 hrs for labor (flat rate #), and replacement parts. A local garage can do it a lot cheaper if they know what they are doing on an STS.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced my starter 9 months ago so it should be ok now. Someone told me the reason why the problem happens more often when engine is warm is b/c there is hot air/ oil mix in the cylinder if I turn off the engine IMMEDIATELY after stop, and it may cause problem when I start after 20 or 30 mins. That's totoally beyong my knowledge and sounds not easy to fix.
I was recommended to leave the engine idle for 20 seconds after stop then turn it off, not sure if it will work. Will have my dealer check it next week.

Thanks for the comments. :bighead:

If battery is ok, and if car has over 100,000 miles, as Ranger says, it is most likely starter. Starter is under intake manifold on this car. At dealer, it is several hours labor. Do a search on here to see how tough it is for anyone to change starter.

I am not sure, but at a dealer, you are probably talking about $70 for diagnostics, 6 hrs for labor (flat rate #), and replacement parts. A local garage can do it a lot cheaper if they know what they are doing on an STS.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Someone told me the reason why the problem happens more often when engine is warm is b/c there is hot air/ oil mix in the cylinder if I turn off the engine IMMEDIATELY after stop, and it may cause problem when I start after 20 or 30 mins.
That sounds like total BS.... If it is not turning over and just "clicking" like you said, it is either the battery, the battery cables, the starter, or the connections on the cables.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can hear the starter working, and battery voltage shows 13.9V, but it sounds like the engine has a very difficult time to start running, once it started, it runs just fine.

That sounds like total BS.... If it is not turning over and just "clicking" like you said, it is either the battery, the battery cables, the starter, or the connections on the cables.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
In that case my best guess would be that when they changed the starter they didn't tighten down one of the connections good enough, causing it to arc and possibly corrode. Metals expand when they are heated up, and whatever gap in the connection will expand too. The electricity would have to jump a larger gap when the engine is hot than when it's cool.

But still, that's a mere educated guess. It could be something else, as simple as a bad wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts