Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1996 Fleetwood hearse
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. A while back I had a post on P0401 and P0430 codes and changing the oxygen sensors on my 96 Fleetwood with the 5.7. While I was looking under the car I found an unconnected yellow wire near where the upstream oxygen sensor plugs in on the passenger side of the vehicle. I believe I know where that yellow wire connects now. While trying to change the catalytic converters ( didn't go as planned as I was shipped the wrong one or something like that) I had pulled the passenger side off and noticed a sensor screwed into the block between cylinders 2 and 3. It is just below and between the spark plugs and is busted but not leaking. Does anyone know what sensor that is so I can replace it? I was thinking oil pressure or low oil but that is not the location for them. Anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
96 FWB
207 Posts
For reference, the PS cylinders are labeled from the front 2-4-6-8.

Low on the block is the knock sensor. I'd guess it's centered between 4 and 6ish (haha which makes sense for your 2-3). It can be a bear to remove. Some have luck 'tightening' a bit first to break the rust. New one comes with sealant. Do not use teflon tape, and do not overtighten (messes with the noise signal). You can theoreticaaly replace one with minimal coolant loss, but alot of guys make the business case to replace them on both sides for the most complete draining s part of a total coolant flush.

·
1996 Fleetwood hearse
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It definitely does not look like that. What is in there resembles a temperature sending unit and has no bell on it. Sort of looks like the pic I've uploaded except the plastic tip is gone and I believe it to be a spade connector not a round one.

Attachments

·
1996 Fleetwood hearse
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is on the side of the block not in the pan. The first location was correct but the sensor doesn't look anything like the one you posted. I'm beginning to wonder if somebody just use that to plug the hole.

·
1996 Fleetwood hearse
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for making me look again. It is the engine coolant temperature switch and it is broken. Figured out what it does. It is what sends the code back to turn the dash light on to let you know you are overheating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts