Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 93 El the other day. It has 155k on it but is in amazing condition. Wow, what a nice car! I can't believe this individual sold me this car for just $1,800! That 4.6 Northstar really rocks! :burn: It does have a couple of quirks though... Looking for comments or help with these issues.

The headlights do not come on at all… either with the switch or with the twilight sentinal sensor, just parking lamps. The seller said this just recently was discovered after being in storage for 2 mo. or so. Checked all the obvious fuses and circuit breaker but found nothing. The 2 bright lamps do come on when you pull on the signal lever for the flash-to-pass feature... Any other clues?? :lightbulb

Blower motor does not work at all either. Same search for blown fuse showed nothing. Is there any connection here? The seller's comment here was that quit working about 4-5 mo. ago. Doesn't seem to have any power coming into the blower motor, so I'm thinking it is a relay or switch somewhere? Hope to fix this before the weather gets too warm, need that A/C at more than just a trickle!! :(

thanks for any suggestions as to where to look... :)

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
There'll be no codes for this one. Check the dimmer switch, followed by the headlamps themselves. I'll check the wiring schematics in the AM for you and get back to you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Katshot said:
There'll be no codes for this one. Check the dimmer switch, followed by the headlamps themselves. I'll check the wiring schematics in the AM for you and get back to you.
Will check dimmer switch tonight. This is located partway down the column isn't it? I had heard these go bad at times.

Pretty sure its not the lights itself, as at least the brights are coming on with the flash-to-pass action...

I would appreciate the schematics check, I'm not an avid electrical diagnosing type person, so I need all the help I can get.

I did run 12V to the blower motor last night and that fired up, so there must be a switch, relay, or connector somewhere that is bad...

The headlights are priority though, I need to get them working before I find myself stranded in the dark somewhere!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The two systems appear to have no direct connection so I'm going to say that you have TWO problems at least.
The headlamps are controlled via the dimmer switch which is powered from the headlamp relay in the engine compartment relay panel, which is powered from the 30A Circuit Breaker in the right Maxi Fuse block
The blower motor is controlled via the A/C Power Module which is located in the engine compartment on the cowl. (it has a big heavy wire that goes directly to the motor) And this is powered from the 40A Maxi Fuse in the righ hand fuse box. These modules are very prone to failure.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Kevin, will check these areas out this weekend. I have a chiltons manual now, so hopefully this will help me trace down some of these modules and be able to do some troubleshooting. I sure appreciate your help. Nice ride also! That is one awsome car you've built there!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far...

Well, back into the electrical issues so far I have found..

It looks like it may be the dimmer switch ($33) that is causing the headlight problem. I have 12V coming to the switch, but certainly not to the bulbs up front. I guess there is a chance it could still be the headlamp pull knob switch ($275!) itself, but it sounds as the dimmer is much more prone to failure. That Twilight sentinal crap sure adds a ton of junk to that switch! I'm buying a dimmer switch today and crossing my fingers.

The blower motor issue seems like it may be the A/C control module ($135), which is mounted on the top of the blower motor housing. It seems like there again is power going into it, but not out here. Looking for a cheaper fix here, used part from boneyard maybe? Checking into gmpartsdirect.com... no reply yet. Any suggestions on what else to do here?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Swing... and a miss!

Well, I bought a new dimmer switch and installed it last night... Still no headlights! :mad:

I suppose I could have pulled the old switch first, and tested it somehow, but it is a pain to get at. In retrospect, looking at the switch now, I can see where the contact for the flash to pass feature would function separately from the main headlamp circuit.

Now I am leaning more towards the headlamp pull-switch itself. (by process of elimination!) Can anyone tell me of a way to test that part though? I guess swapping it out with another similar car would work. There is that woman who parks near me at work with the 92 Eldo... hmmm, I'm getting ideas now!! :lightbulb

I was considering opening up this switch, and seeing if I could just convert it to a simple pull-push switch. In other words, totally eliminating the twilight sentinal and making it stupid/simple. Do you think that is possible?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I tried it...

I took the chance and called the woman who has the other Eldorado at work, and she accepted the offer! :worship: I was really fortunate to have a near identical car (her's is a 94) right next to mine there.

Good news, bad news... It didn't work, still no lights. So... I'm thinking now it has to be something in the wiring harness somewhere that is open. At least I know I don't have to buy that expensive switch! :bouncy:

We'll figure this out yet!! :suspense:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet!!

Wow, a long time coming, but I have headlights! I was fortunate enough to have a very helpful parts guy (John @ Crest Cadillac) :worship: and a troubleshooting guide to follow. Found an open wire in the circuit between the headlight switch and the relay! Ran another wire, spliced it in, and let there be light! :thumbsup:

I found with further detailed testing that it is my blower motor that is the other problem. Ordered another one, and will be plucking the old one out soon. Doesn't look like a real fun job, that is one crowded firewall! :wacky:

·
Registered
92 seville
11 Posts
i have a 92 seville and I am havin the same problem u r with the headlights,,,,, could u tell me what u did,, i have been pullin my hair out since I got the car,,, i would be in your debt for the help

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
i have a 92 seville and I am havin the same problem u r with the headlights,,,,, could u tell me what u did,, i have been pullin my hair out since I got the car,,, i would be in your debt for the help
This really should be a new thread. SpruceGoose has not been on line since 2005, so don't wait for an answer from him. :welcome: try posting this question in the seville forum for more help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts