Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
STS 2006 V6 257 hp
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I need to replace the fuel gauge. (Fuel Level Sensor)
I no longer have any indication on the dashboard.

I have 2 questions:
1: Which model to choose ... N ° 1 seems suitable to me ..?
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

2: How to replace it ...
Remove the propeller shaft, remove the exhaust and then remove the fuel tank.
I found a video that proceeds without depositing everything, going through the interior (Under the back seat)
It would suffice to cut the thin sheet and access the gauge. Looks simpler and faster.
What do you think ... Do you have any other ideas ....

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,397 Posts
There are two sensors because the tank is saddle shaped and straddles the drive shaft. A jet pump transfers fuel from one side to the other so all the fuel can be accessed by the pump. Which sensor do you need? There is a computing module that processes the data from both sensors to display a total on the gauge. The sensors themselves can display erroneous data due to degradation of the sensor elements from sulfur in the fuel. You can sometime revive them by dumping a couple of bottles of Techron in a near empty tank before refueling. It worked for me.

·
Registered
STS 2006 V6 257 hp
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hello....
I just bought this car ... I have 2 things to put in order ...
Put back the 2 rear silencers which were removed to make more sports car .... (Stupid ...: lol) Topic here Cadillacforums
I don't have any erroneous data, but the needle of the fuel gauge which no longer gives any indications.

So how do you know which one is faulty ... they are therefore in 2 different places? Accessible from above (Rear seat like the video)
Or should everything be dismantled .... Directly change the 2 parts ...
What's your suggestion?
Thank you ...

EDIT:
Perhaps I have found a complete tank with gauge etc ...
I'm waiting for a response from the seller ... but I think it's the right model ... what do you think? Thank you
Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Gas Machine

TECHRON ... is correct ?

Light Product Material property Font Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
29,397 Posts
The sensors do not connect directly to the gauge. Gauge signals go to the gauge computer. The gauge computer drives the gauge. I would be looking at everything in between such as wiring, connectors and the gauge computing module.

·
Registered
STS 2006 V6 257 hp
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, is the tank the right model ? It is not expensive, 60 € with all the pieces like the photo .

Otherwise, where is the gauge computer, gauge module? engine compartment ?
Could the TECH 2 suitcase give me the cause of the breakdown ?
(I have to recover my tech2 that I lent.)

I need to buy the Cadillac STS 2006 v6 workshop manuals (I'm looking for the best)

Thank you for help me ...

·
Premium Member
29,397 Posts
The workshop manuals on paper have been out of print for years. There are shop manuals available on disks on Ebay but they don't have all the detail that the paper ones have. I can't identify the gas tank in the picture for you. I think the module is on top of rhe tank.

·
Registered
STS 2006 V6 257 hp
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
so for workshop manuals , i search ...
For tank ... 100% ok ... Same year as mine

Brand: CADILLAC
Model: STS 1 Essence
Year: 05/01/2006
Power supply: Gasoline
Engine: LY7
Box: BV5
Engine capacity: 3564

I will buy it on Tuesday, it will make me reserve in case.

I check all soon....
I'm going to study and watch all of this with the Tech2 too ...

I will come and post the results ...

PS: It's a bit cold for tinkering ... (Snow) ❄

·
Premium Member
29,397 Posts
I seriously doubt you have a sensor problem. It is far more likely hat you have a wiring or connector problem.

·
Premium Member
29,397 Posts
If the gauge does not move at all your problem is with the wiring, connections, gauge computer, or possibly the gauge cluster itself. If either sensor is operable the gauge will still at least give erroneous readings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts