Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping one of you can help me out there.

Had the car tuned for the first time today with the new parts I threw on it. Have a full stainless exhaust with long tubes and no cats, air raid intake, tr6 plugs, 2.5 upper, ported snout/tb.

Put it on the dyno for the first pull and it threw down 565 rwhp and 584 torque without any of these mods being tuned in yet. The garage was about 70 degrees with it being aorund 32 outside. Upon looking at the first pull, we had about 6 degrees of knock, was hitting about 14 lbs of boost, and the duty cycle of the injectors were maxed out. I thought these numbers, especially the boost, was really high for just a 2.5 upper and headers!

He then did some tuning and we did two more pulls. you will see those results in the second picture below. He played with the fuel, which obviously Lessened HP and TQ, to compensate for not having the biger injectors. I am going to put them in this weekend.

When he did the tuning he did it in sport mode, with stabiltrack and traction control off. WHen we started the car up and did a road test after the tune, the car in regular mode with stabilitrack on and traction control on was seeming to be held back. I would try and hit it hard, and the boost would spool up really high, i would get moving, but it seemed like i couldnt achieve full throttle. That torque that normally wrenches you back in your seat wasnt there.

He then took it back in the shop and tried messing with it and then told me to go back out and turn off the stabilitrack and traction control and shift in sport mode manually. That is where i noticed a significant power increase, but still it was later in the RPM range, not like stock. Definately more power than regular mode, but only when I hammer throttle.

I know he must have cut back on the car to make up for the lack of fuel delivery with the injectors, but could something else be gonig on. he emailed me the EFI Live log of two pulls we did when we were driving trying to tweak the engine after the fact. Does anyone have any suggestions or could possibly take a look at whats going on for me? I can email you the EFI log, I can't view it since i dont have EFI

Is this tune junk?
Im struggling here! I just wanna fly!

·
Registered
2009 cts-v
534 Posts
I'm no help but you probably need to work more with your tuner. Numbers *look* ok to me for a pulley and exhaust. 574 rwhp:yup: Get that baby to the track(if you're into that) and lets see what it mph's.

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
It probably ran lean on the first pull, so that is why it made more horsepower. Then after you pulled the required timing from the added boost, it brought things back to normal.

550ish hp is normal for your mods. So if you are close, you should be good.

As long as your air fuel ratio is in mid 11s and your scan shows no Kr, then you are ready to go have fun in it.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I wont charge anything. Just send the files to my email . jessebubb @ yahoo

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wait4me said:
I wont charge anything. Just send the files to my email . jessebubb @ yahoo
Sent

----------

Sent Jesse,just realized it was autocorrection your name to Jaime in my posts, I have a friend named Jaime and it automatically goes to that.

Let me know what you think.there are 3dyno pulls in one email, and 2 road pulls

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Ill look thru them in a bit, they came thru.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe...
194 Posts
It probably ran lean on the first pull, so that is why it made more horsepower. Then after you pulled the required timing from the added boost, it brought things back to normal.

550ish hp is normal for your mods. So if you are close, you should be good.

As long as your air fuel ratio is in mid 11s and your scan shows no Kr, then you are ready to go have fun in it.

Jesse, what is Kr?? thanks....Ray

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V Manual
152 Posts
Knock Retard = Pulling timing advance

The engine knock sensors have detected knock and are pulling timing. KR is a measurement of amount of timing pulled.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe...
194 Posts
thanks wc.....I'm assuming that the kr is to mitigate against detonation...assuming that ignition is not from hot spots, what else would cause detonation? too lean of a tune?? sorry, new to all this jargon...thx, Ray

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,840 Posts
rayjoedef said:
thanks wc.....I'm assuming that the kr is to mitigate against detonation...assuming that ignition is not from hot spots, what else would cause detonation? too lean of a tune?? sorry, new to all this jargon...thx, Ray
That's exactly what KR does. It tries to save internal engine damage by pulling timing but most times the knock is so slight you can't hear it. I battled detonation in my old Camaro for months before I just decided it was what it was. There was so much timing being pulled I was down around 30+ RWHP off that alone but I couldn't fix it. Running 100 octane all the time wasn't an option!

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V Manual
152 Posts
Knock Retard = Pulling timing advance

The engine knock sensors have detected knock and are pulling timing. KR is a measurement of amount of timing pulled.
Lots of stuff could cause KR so you should work with a tuner to reduce yours. Eg. poor octane fuel, hot spots, lean tune, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts