Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 87 Brougham is giving me a problem and I dont know what is causing it. Around 50-60mph (sometimes at lower speeds too) it feels like the engine wants to stall kinda feels like its bucking a bit. If I give it a little more gas it seems to go away but then does it again when I slow down. I really have no idea what this is. At first I thought maybe it was bad gas but then I refilled it with 93 octane, changed the fuel filter and the problem persists. Have any of you experienced this or have any idea where the problem may be?. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my first guess would be the carb needs rebuilt they usually start giving some problums around 100,000 give or take ,it sounds alot like fuel delivery problum to me good luck p.s. i am guessing it is the 307 olds motor

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have the same on my 86 and on the fuel line leading to the carb, looks like some mechanic replaced it with a rubber tube with clamps instead of the aluminum pipe. It's a bit squeezed and therefore restricting gas flow when I "punch it".

Gotta be a fuel transmission issue.

·
Registered
96 FWB
385 Posts
Destroyer said:
My 87 Brougham is giving me a problem and I dont know what is causing it. Around 50-60mph (sometimes at lower speeds too) it feels like the engine wants to stall kinda feels like its bucking a bit. If I give it a little more gas it seems to go away but then does it again when I slow down. I really have no idea what this is. . . . . (Bob edit) .
When I read just the part above, I thought of the car's age and speed of symptom, and what jumped into my head was, "lockup torque converter". Maybe a search using, "Chuggle"? Hope that helps.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Transmission, carb or torque converter. Man o man, now I'm confused. These are all fairly expensive and I dont want to replace these things only to find its one of the other things. I notice that the problem is worse when I have a full load in the car (more than 1 passenger). I drove it about a hundred miles yesterday with 6 people including myself and it did it a lot. I just wish I knew exactly where the problem was so I could fix it. First thing that popped in my head was a fuel problem but then I was thinking maybe a timing chain or even u-joints. I can fix but I'm not too good at diagnosis. :annoyed:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts