Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall

Can you remove the passenger side door panel (99 SLS) if the door is shut locked? I'm trying to gain access to re-intall a loose latch from the interior handle; the door will not open from the inside/out nor from the main door driver switch.

I have already remove the three upper screws but it will not pop out unless I SUPERMAN rip/break it off :hmm::nono::crying2:

Please HELP!

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Wow yeah that sucks. There are two screws on the bottom off the door panel that can only be accessed with the door open. Best thing is to try to gain access to the inner locking mechanism and try opening the door that way. Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
But even with the screws removed, will the door panel FLEX enough to be removed? I thought with the door shut the edges of the panel were still between the door and the body frame of the car? I'm too lazy to go out and look at mine at the moment...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try unbolting/removing the seat. It has 2 bolts up front and 2 hooks on the back. Maybe then you can get at the screws on the bottom of the door panel.
Thanks for the tip!~ i will tackle the seat removal this weekend, hopefully I can do it. I got really annoyed when I noticed our car only has one key hole entry (driver) to open but at the same time it make sense in security aspect.

I bought my car without a factory wireless transmitter but the factory alarm is still in place. Do you think it may open if i buy and reprogram a blank fob to pop it open?

Please chime in before I :bomb: explode with frustration.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Chances are if it wont open with the electrical switch in the car, a key fob wont open it either. If you cant get the door panel off without breaking it, you can usually find one at your local scrap yard for about $20 and rip yours out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I thought of just ripping it out if it all fails. I can barely push out the top of the panel and i cant even squeeze a finger in.

Luckily I know a salvage parts that has 02 sts in the yard that i can buy the panel if I decide the rip it open. Im still going to remove the seat to access the lower screws.

Anyone who has been through this, please let me know what techniques was used to accomplish this - I hope I am not the first to go through this :helpless:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well I highly doubt you will be able to access the screws even with the seat removed. The screws are on the bottom part of the panel and the floor of your car is what prevents you from gaining access to the screws. But at this point anything is worth a shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts