Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
09' V
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start with, i was behind an 06' m5 on the way to the beach. 3 miles before i get there we have an open stretch. i pull beside him in fourth doin 75, i bang down to third with traction control off and nail it. The car seemed to hesitate, jolt, almost like traction engaged but it didn't. I may have bounced off the rev limiter once and then quick shift to fourth. No power loss though afterwards. ...Right after the short run, I get this bird chirping sound that gets louder and faster as the rpms get higher. It doesnt matter if its in gear or in neutral. You can hear it in and outside the car. I popped the and had a friend rev it and it seems as though it is coming from the passenger side rear engine on the top. Definately sounds like its comin from inside the valve cover and not from under the car like the clutch or anything. And it doesnt seem to be coming from the the pulleys either. I had the drivers side motor mount replaced a month ago but not the other(long story).....Anyway, what do you guys think it could be??? my top guesses are

-motor mount is crap which caused something to hit or rub and go bad
-bent pushrod
-something with the rockers

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
209 Posts
might be a lifter...u should pull the valve cover while the car's running to pinpoint it

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,986 Posts
Sure sounds valvetrain related especially given the high rev episode just before you started hearing it. I had an old tech working for me once (D'Arcy was his name) while doing engine dyno work; he'd use a long screwdriver and, while touching the engine near where the sound seemed to be, he'd put the handle end up to his ear and listen. Sometimes that would help to isolate the problem or confirm a suspicion.

Then again, it could be something inconsequential like a hose rubbing.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
209 Posts
Sure sounds valvetrain related especially given the high rev episode just before you started hearing it. I had an old tech working for me once (D'Arcy was his name) while doing engine dyno work; he'd use a long screwdriver and, while touching the engine near where the sound seemed to be, he'd put the handle end up to his ear and listen. Sometimes that would help to isolate the problem or confirm a suspicion.

Then again, it could be something inconsequential like a hose rubbing.
That's one way to check, but the pros use a mechanic's stethoscope...same idea though. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts