Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
LS6 V
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Damnit!!
The lower caliper bolt on the front passenger side would not go in straight. I took the bolt out and noticed the threads were all chewed up.
Does anyone know the specs on the caliper bolts so I can buy a damn tap? Will I be able to tap it out? Or will I need to buy a new caliper????

:mad::mad:

·
Registered
LS6 V
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After doing some reading I could do a helicoil/timesert or just tap it out to the next size up metric or std.
I'm thinking I might go 1/2", it's a hair bigger. Thoughts?

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,991 Posts
If you can salvage it (by using a tap) at the same size, that's what I'd do as long as saftey isn't compromised. Get a fresh fastener, too.

Don't know about the helicoil, but you may end up going to a new caliper. eBay?

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
I use Helicoil's all of the time in the industry I'm in and they work well. As a matter of fact, a general rule of thumb is to helicoil any thread in an aluminum or copper part because the thread will last longer.

I found a kit and the cost is about $30, not sure if this is the correct thread but it will give you an idea of what you will need and the cost.
http://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5546-10-Thread-Repair-Kit/dp/B0002SRF80

This should be cheaper then replacing the caliper, it will be as good as new if done properly, and if it happens again it won't cost you anything to fix it.

I agree with Rand, if you can run a tap through the hole and it's OK then I would do that but if it look's marginal then I would recommend the Helicoil, should still be cheaper then replacing the caliper.

The steps to Helicoil the part
1- Drill out to the appropriate size for the HeliCoil Tap
2- Tap out using the Appropriate HeliCoil Tap (should have a "STI" designation to indicate it is a heliCoil tap)
3- Using the tool provided in the kit, screw in the HeliCoil
4- If the screw goes past the end of the HeliCoil then the Tang must be removed. They make a special tool for this but I wouldn't remove it unless you need to.

You can get many different length's and size's and they work well.

BTW, If you do helicoil it and get it to work then take some of the money you saved and become a supporting member... :yup:

·
Registered
LS6 V
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank god I was able to tap them out with the factory m12x1.75 size and torque them down without issue. I'll check them every 1000 miles or so to ensure they aren't backing out.

Thanks for all the advice!!!

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Agree. Do we take off for spelling? (Loctite)
:histeric:

Hmmmm. You know I was having trouble with it, did he spell lock wrong, tight is right but something is wrong....

Thank you for clearing that up. As far as taking away points I vote no or you would be subtracting points left and right from me on gramer and speeeling!

·
Registered
(did) CTS-V
723 Posts
Thank god I was able to tap them out with the factory m12x1.75 size and torque them down without issue. I'll check them every 1000 miles or so to ensure they aren't backing out.

Thanks for all the advice!!!
Excellent idea... dont ask how I know, but lets just say, I've thrown a caliper before... luckily not on a V.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts