Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned the car on this morning to warm it up and check for trouble codes. I exited diagnostic mode after finding nothing and shut the car off. Unfortunately, the cooling fans are still running half an hour later. I've tried restarting the car and shutting it off but that didn't work and there's still no trouble codes. What do I do?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,137 Posts
:confused:Curious......I doubt the diagnostic sequence has anything to do with the fans. I would assume that you have either disconnected the battery or pulled the fan fuse/relay by now. (the fan circuit in many vehicles is hot at all times and the fans MAY run for a few minutes even if everything else is off.) If the problem cleared after pulling the battery cable(s), or even if it hasn't, suspect a sticky fan control relay. If the relay seems OK, then something has gone bad in the temperature sensing circuitry.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I actually didn't pull the negative cable or the fuse. What I did was get the car out on the road and accelerate at W.O.T. I did have trouble starting it because of the 45-minute drain on the battery. I figured I might as well blow some carbon out and have fun at the same time. She's a swift old thing. When I got back and turned the car off, the fans turned off too. Weird..... Needless to say I'm taking in it to my dealership tomorrow for a head-to-toe inspection.

·
Registered
1988 Fleetwood D'Elegance
52 Posts
I turned the car on this morning to warm it up and check for trouble codes. I exited diagnostic mode after finding nothing and shut the car off. Unfortunately, the cooling fans are still running half an hour later. I've tried restarting the car and shutting it off but that didn't work and there's still no trouble codes. What do I do?
I had the same problem on my Fleetwood 1988. It turned out that the electrical switches (relay) for turning the fans on and off did not work fine. I checked all the switches by taking them out (disable them). My car has three exact the same relais for the fans. One by one was taken out. After the right one was taken out the fans stopped running. It seemed that the relais kind of got stucked. After that we put the relais back and everything was working fine. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts