Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody help me before I shoot my car or leave it on a street in Detroit?

These are the problems I'm having:

In order of most pressing to least-

As of two days ago it now has a delayed start...when I shift into drive I have to nearly push the pedal to the floor just to get the car to move. The manual says it may be the "Transaxle system sensors" which a dealership told me would cost a small fortune for me to fix. My car only has 125k on it and still has great power once I'm up to speed. It's just getting going that sucks. If I put it in "2" to get going it works pretty good then I shift it up into drive.

Next
The car overheats when I have the thermostat in. Mind you I have changed the thermostat several times and finally found that running the car without the 'stat works best and yes I know the engine won't get to peak running temp and I won't have heat in my car. I have changed the cap and gave it a pressure test which checked out. The coolant is being forced from my radiator and into the resevoir and out the top of that but only when the 'stat is in.

Problem 3
The A/C won't engage. I converted the R12 to R134a but I think it all leaked out. This problem is probably as simple as finding the leak and possibly changing out the compressor but I threw it up wondering if it could be affecting any of the other problems. My tranny worked fine right up until I added the freon into the system. I can't imagine how the two are related but my car ran great all the way up to when I brought the cans of freon home then it began to act up.

Has anybody else had these problems?

Ryan

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
1. Could be a sensor! Without trouble codes, I cant tell you..... Could be a number of things, including slippage!! It could be it was just coincedental with the other thigns..... What is the maintenance history on the tranny? Id say however its most likely an electrical thing.... I bet its stuck in 2nd for some reason (fail safe mode.... Check traction control related items.....

2. The radiator is probably shot...

3. The AC isnt related to the other things (Couldnt imagine how it would be).... Id take it in and have it leak tested..... They can put stuff in the system that glows under blacklight and make it really easy to find the leak!!! Might be compressor, Im not sure!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rdluberda said:
Problem 3
The A/C won't engage. I converted the R12 to R134a but I think it all leaked out. This problem is probably as simple as finding the leak and possibly changing out the compressor but I threw it up wondering if it could be affecting any of the other problems. My tranny worked fine right up until I added the freon into the system. I can't imagine how the two are related but my car ran great all the way up to when I brought the cans of freon home then it began to act up.

Ryan
Well I can't speak for the other problems cause I dont know much about that year of Caddy (into older stuff )

But......Please tell me you had your AC system evacuated and vacumed before your put your 134a in there. I'm sure you probibly did, but I've seen many people do this so I had to ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as the A/c goes, the mechanic at the parts store checked the to see if the system needed to be evacuated but it was already empty but said nothing about vacuuming, he just said to use a conversion oil.

Anyway...I got the codes off the car but left them at home but they were:

ECM reset
Power steering switch open - Don't understand this though...power steering works fine
VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor
O2 sensor
Depending on whether you believe Autozone or Chilton either the MAT or MAP sensor

·
Registered
66 Posts
I by no mean claim to know everything, but the way it was explained to me by a good friend of mine who is a mechanic who works on, and is a certified AC tech . is that you have to vacume the system to get rid of the old oil and R12 residue, before you can put in R134a, or else you contaminate the system.

The system must not only be empty to refill but must be in a state of vacume, -30 pounds I think

With contaminated system it will cost you big bucks to have it cleaned out if you ever try to get a AC tech to work on your car. By law I guess they have to send that stuff out and be disposed of properly, plus no technitian will hook up their machines to a contaminated system cause it will contaminate their equiment. and cost them big $$$$$$ to get it cleaned out.

You will have to find somebody that has a machine for contamination clean up.

those two refrigerants don't mix and neither do the different oils.

Now this may all be a load of crap, but this is what I was told.

good luck!

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
1) You have a VSS code. There are threads about checking/changing that. There is also a problem with the trans filter coming loose and breaking the solenoids. That isn't too expensive to fix. I suspect that's the problem. get it checked quickly as you are burning out the clutches driving it like this.

2)Is this a Northstar engine? If so it sounds suspiciously like head gaskets starting to leak. Plenty of threads in the N* tech section.

3)I agree that the A/C shouldn't affect the trans. I can't think of any connectors right by the A/C that affect the trans.
If the system was empty before you added the 134 you have a leak.

Look for oil around any connections and the front of the A/C compressor. Check the high and low side valves. If you see oil that's probably your leak.
Dye Additives: If it's bad the dye additive may show you where it is. If the leak is minor not enough will leak out for you to see. Think of a nail in your tire that only goes low every week. It really is a very small leak. Not much dye would come out.

You evacuate the system to get the old R12 and any water out of the system. Any water (and you have some if it's empty because the A/C oil attracts water) corrodes the internals very quickly.
I think PAG oil mixes with the old oil so you don't have to flush it like the original conversions.
There are lots of A/C sites that give you more info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after I got jerked around by my local Caddy dealer they final said that my A/C compressor, clutch, the works are bad and it'll cost me $1200 to fix and that it is causing my number 17 fuse to blow and THAT is what is causing my cars trans to act funny. That fuse is connected to way to many important systems. I don't have the money to fix the whole A/C so they just unhooked it.
Crazy fun....

Thanks for everyone's advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rdluberda said:
Can anybody help me before I shoot my car or leave it on a street in Detroit?

These are the problems I'm having:

In order of most pressing to least-

As of two days ago it now has a delayed start...when I shift into drive I have to nearly push the pedal to the floor just to get the car to move. The manual says it may be the "Transaxle system sensors" which a dealership told me would cost a small fortune for me to fix. My car only has 125k on it and still has great power once I'm up to speed. It's just getting going that sucks. If I put it in "2" to get going it works pretty good then I shift it up into drive.

Next
The car overheats when I have the thermostat in. Mind you I have changed the thermostat several times and finally found that running the car without the 'stat works best and yes I know the engine won't get to peak running temp and I won't have heat in my car. I have changed the cap and gave it a pressure test which checked out. The coolant is being forced from my radiator and into the resevoir and out the top of that but only when the 'stat is in.

Problem 3

Ryan

I've had almost the same problems. My a/c compressor seized up, I replaced it, and had the same problem with the tranny that you seem to be having. What I learned was that the 91-93 Fleetwood, Fleetwood 60, and the Deville have a shared circuit wit the a/c, egr, and electronic shift.
In a nutshell, I replaced the #5 fuse (it was blown) in the panel under the glove box. I hope this helps

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
TOML