Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1998 Deville (no phone, stabilitrak or aftermarket parts)
Only thing it has is an OEM-like cd changer that plugged right into the factory harness supplied for it in the trunk.

Recently, after a trip to shop to have my remotes reprogrammed, my car battery won't hold its charge for more than 2 days unless driven.

What should I do other than visit the dealer? ( I own a set of GM service manuals for this car but so far not much help)
Thank you

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
powerglide said:
Hi,

I have a 1998 Deville (no phone, stabilitrak or aftermarket parts)
Only thing it has is an OEM-like cd changer that plugged right into the factory harness supplied for it in the trunk.

Recently, after a trip to shop to have my remotes reprogrammed, my car battery won't hold its charge for more than 2 days unless driven.

What should I do other than visit the dealer? ( I own a set of GM service manuals for this car but so far not much help)
Thank you
Hey powerglide,
to save me some typing check out this thread to get ideas
www.cadillacforums.com/forum...p?threadid=3700

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JJhomer83 said:

Wow, thats pretty relevant......After reading all that I:

1) had AAA give me a boost
2) went to autozone to have a battery test and alternator test

Good/bad news....the alternator and battery checked out ok.
The battery with load settles around 12.7 volts and reads about 13.5-14.5 when running (also confirmed by the dash digital voltmeter)

the battery is a Sears Die Hard Gold and according to the sticker its about 8 months old (feb 03)

so i don't think its the battery or alt......the symptoms are more consistent with a small short a drain on the battery because it takes about 2 days to drain and the car is fine as long as its being driven once a day. And the battery is REALLY drained by that time, takes a few minutes to jump. And driving around for half hour solves the prob so I think the alt is fine.....

Dealer said he wants 80$ just to look at it....

What should I do next?

BTW only thing the car had installed was a OEM "like" CD Changer a plug and play unit in the trunk (about a month ago)......rougly speaking its about a week or so after that was installed (just plugged in) that this began happening.
.........although the most immediate event prior to this battery problem was a visit to the dealership about 10 days ago reprogramming my remotes......then the problem began (although it could be just coincidence)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
My recomendation is to unplug the stereo or see if that is staying on. That might be what is killing your battery. Also check your lights, hood, trunk, interior. Its a small draw of power.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JJhomer83 said:
My recomendation is to unplug the stereo or see if that is staying on. That might be what is killing your battery. Also check your lights, hood, trunk, interior. Its a small draw of power.
weird you should bring up that trunk light.....the two times the car died on me, the last thing I did was lock the doors then went around and opened the trunk to get some stuff.......(although I have done this before...) and I was just thinking about how I can check to see if that light is actually on or off without using a DMM.... (do I have to lock my buddy in the trunk?)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
powerglide said:
weird you should bring up that trunk light.....the two times the car died on me, the last thing I did was lock the doors then went around and opened the trunk to get some stuff.......(although I have done this before...) and I was just thinking about how I can check to see if that light is actually on or off without using a DMM.... (do I have to lock my buddy in the trunk?)
Come on you drive a caddy that trunk can fit at least 3 dead bodies in there. I would make a buddy get in there for me if i were you its the easiest way well its quiting time at work ill check back later tonight good luck

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JJhomer83 said:
Come on you drive a caddy that trunk can fit at least 3 dead bodies in there. I would make a buddy get in there for me if i were you its the easiest way well its quiting time at work ill check back later tonight good luck
I guess I have to take the 4 dead mafioso's (came standard,) out to make room! Thanx

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JJhomer83 said:
It looks like the culprit is the CD changer, must be spinning after shut down.....whew, thats a cheaper fix than I was expecting.

I still have the high pitch screaming noise from somehere near the power steering pump ( ithink) it sounds like a bearing going bad, its goes away after about 20 mins of driving. It may be th AC? I wonder if I can just let it go because the sound doesnt bother me too much. Or wiill it bind up and break the belt evetually? (Its vert hard to isolate the source of the sound because the engine noise...any ideas?) thanx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
2 Participants
powerglide