Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Deville Convert
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Painter removed my VIN tag and lost it and now to get another one from my state I need to find the stamping on the frame. Anyone know where I can find it other than what it says in the manuals? Anyone have pics???

THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
Nice of the painter to do that, he just devalued your car, a real jackass for doing that. Better hope he really lost and is not putting it on another vehicle to try to make it legit. I would try to get him to put it in writing and have it notarized, later on it could be a issue when selling the car.

The state will assign it's own vin plate and it will not be like the original.

Typically GM stamped the vin derivative on top of the frame rail, drivers (left) side just reward of the rear wheel. Your may find the frame manf. code on outboard side of rail and the VIN derivate will be on top as same location. Hard to see with the body on the frame but thats the idea, hard to find, hard to tamper with. There should also be one behind the heater blower motor under the hood. You would have to completely remove it to see it, again to make it hard to tamper with. Typically this info was only provided to law enforcement and it widely believe more hidden vin derivatives exist but you have to tear the car apart to find them, something police would do to find them, if needed to prosecute vehicle theft.

It will not be the complete vin, does not include the body style number. They stamped what is called the VIN derivative and in 1965 they included the following; ModelYear-assemblyplant-last6digitsofvin, example 5F123456. All serial numbers started at 100001 and went up, all models.

·
Registered
66DeVille Vert 76Coupe Delegance 07Escalade ESV 96Fleetwood 83Coupe Deville 70Calais
661 Posts
I was in the same situation with my 66 vert. I found it on the top of the frame just behind the radiator and in front of the top a arm. I didnt see it until i started sanding. It was enough proof for the dmv.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts