Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 STS
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Seville STS that won't start. It has always started, but the last few weeks it would just click once when I tried to start it. When I would turn it over again it would start right up. As each week passed I would have to turn it over more than once to get it to start until finally it stopped starting. I checked my battery and it passed a load test and is fine. I checked and cleaned the connections except the positive ends that go to the starter(could be it I think). I also thought it might be the starter relay, or, ignition relay and replaced both of those, no help. The only reason I didn't check the positive end to the starter is because it looks like more than what I have time for. I've also checked and cleaned every fuse in the car and they were all fine. Does anyone have any idea or conclusions as to what it might be? I know it is something very simple, but I do not want to take it to the dealer unless I have to. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks, dv...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sorry to say it but I'd say it's time to check those "positive" connections. ;) It MAY also be the starter itself but you'll never know until you get to it. Getting to it is far easier than you think. The plenum comes off rather easily and then the starter is right there to be investigated.

·
Registered
1996 STS
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Katshot said:
Sorry to say it but I'd say it's time to check those "positive" connections. ;) It MAY also be the starter itself but you'll never know until you get to it. Getting to it is far easier than you think. The plenum comes off rather easily and then the starter is right there to be investigated.
First of all, thanks for the advice. Is the plenum the black casing that sits under the decorative cover on top of the motor? Also, is the starter easy to take out once the plenum is removed? I consider myself mechanically inclined to a point and sure would not want top pay the $600.00 + that the dealerships want to replace a starter if in fact that is the problem. The car only has 75k on it, so, I would hope it isn't the starter. One other thing, even though the auto parts store checked my battery and said it was good; it only reads 12.34 volts when I put a multimeter on it at rest. My Ford Explorer reads 12.70 and I know there's more load from the 8cyl Caddy than the 6cyl Ford at start up. I did try to jump it and it wouldn't jump, but I've had that problem with a battery before where it would not jump. Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate your input. Thanks again, dv...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts